Q. I get recurrent growth on the tongue that causes a sore throat. Kindly suggest a solution.

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

I am a 27-year-old male. I have seen my doctor multiple times for growth on the tongue. This growth is yellow and sometimes white. I have to brush it off, and it always comes back. I was given antifungal treatment, and culture tests showed now fungus. What is causing these bacteria? It is going on for almost a year now. The doctor said it was allergies and postnasal drip on the last visit, but I have never had this problem before. I was also tested for a few viruses that came back negative. This is annoying and causes a sore throat when I brush it off. I know it is not harmful most of the time, and maybe it is just dead skin cells? But is there a way to keep it from happening?

#

Mostly the tongue lesion that can be capped off are fungal infections even if the culture comes negative. Mouth hygiene is essential.

Do you have reflux in the form of a burning sensation in your chest or your stomach? Do you have a bitter taste in your throat when waking up in the morning? Do you have any digestive symptoms like colic, diarrhea, or feeling uncomfortable after meals?

No, I have none of that above. I even took a prescribed antifungal treatment (pill) and stayed the same. I also took an antifungal mouthwash, and it never went away.

#

You can stop the pills, but you need a topical antifungal gel to stay more on your tongue and penetrate the tissue well. I recommend Daktarin oral gel twice daily. The gel is painted over the tongue surface, then close your mouth for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, you can swallow it safely.

|