Q. My urine is bright yellow in color. Could it be due to any kidney problem?

Dr. Rahul Ramakrishnan
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha

I am 76 years old. I do not feel thirsty thus I drink very little water for a long time. I was advised to take more water but I am unable to take as I need to force myself to do so. My urine used to be yellow three or four times a day whereas for the past 20 days it is always yellow in color and after urination when I flush the commode bright yellow color is appearing in the water. I felt like checking up and got a kidney function test done. I have the reports but there is no option to attach file. However my urea is 27.6, blood urea nitrogen is 12.6, creatine is 0.9, and uric acid is 7.1. I am on medication for my diabetes and hypertension. Can you suggest what I need to do further on my condition? What is the present state of my kidneys? Best regards.

#

I went through the case history and the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I would like to know what kind of medication you are taking for hypertension and diabetics. Do you get a burning sensation while passing urine or fever? Kindly get back with the details. Thanks.

I take Metformin 500 mg twice daily. I also take K Glim 2 mg once in the morning for sugar control. I take a 5 mg tablet once daily for hypertension. Very rarely I get burning sensation while passing urine not always. The flow stops and starts sometimes while passing urine. I do not get fever at all. My immediate concern is as to how my kidneys are functioning and their health. Thanks for the prompt response.

#

Thanks for following up with the required details.

As per the history and treatment details given by you, I could say that your kidneys are fine and working well. However, you need a pelvic ultrasound required to check for a prostate problem called BPE (benign prostate enlargement). Start a tablet called as Urimax D (Tamsulosin and Dutasteride) for the stopping of the urine in between. Take one tablet per day and drink a lot of water in the day but limit after evening. You can also have a syrup Cital (Disodium hydrogen citrate). Take three spoonfuls in 1 glass of water thrice a day.

Uric acid is on the higher side so we can start a tablet called Febustat 40 mg (Febuxostat) once a day after food. Limit eating seafood and cold drinks as it causes an increase in uric acid levels. If still, the problem persists, then get a urine test done. I hope this solves your query.

|