Q. My urine is bright yellow in color. Could it be due to any kidney problem?

Dr. Rahul Ramakrishnan
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
Published on Jan 17, 2020

I am 76 years old. I do not feel thirsty thus I drink very little water for a long time. I was advised to take more water but I am unable to take as I need to force myself to do so. My urine used to be yellow three or four times a day whereas for the past 20 days it is always yellow in color and after urination when I flush the commode bright yellow color is appearing in the water. I felt like checking up and got a kidney function test done. I have the reports but there is no option to attach file. However my urea is 27.6, blood urea nitrogen is 12.6, creatine is 0.9, and uric acid is 7.1. I am on medication for my diabetes and hypertension. Can you suggest what I need to do further on my condition? What is the present state of my kidneys? Best regards.

Dr. Rahul Ramakrishnan

Internal Medicine Preventive Medicine
#

I went through the case history and the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I would like to know what kind of medication you are taking for hypertension and diabetics. Do you get a burning sensation while passing urine or fever? Kindly get back with the details. Thanks.

| 

I take Metformin 500 mg twice daily. I also take K Glim 2 mg once in the morning for sugar control. I take a 5 mg tablet once daily for hypertension. Very rarely I get burning sensation while passing urine not always. The flow stops and starts sometimes while passing urine. I do not get fever at all. My immediate concern is as to how my kidneys are functioning and their health. Thanks for the prompt response.

Dr. Rahul Ramakrishnan

Internal Medicine Preventive Medicine
#

Thanks for following up with the required details.

As per the history and treatment details given by you, I could say that your kidneys are fine and working well. However, you need a pelvic ultrasound required to check for a prostate problem called BPE (benign prostate enlargement). Start a tablet called as Urimax D (Tamsulosin and Dutasteride) for the stopping of the urine in between. Take one tablet per day and drink a lot of water in the day but limit after evening. You can also have a syrup Cital (Disodium hydrogen citrate). Take three spoonfuls in 1 glass of water thrice a day.

Uric acid is on the higher side so we can start a tablet called Febustat 40 mg (Febuxostat) once a day after food. Limit eating seafood and cold drinks as it causes an increase in uric acid levels. If still, the problem persists, then get a urine test done. I hope this solves your query.

| 

I have UTI. Should I worry about my kidneys as my appointment with doctor is getting delayed?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a UTI and cannot see my doctor until next week. And it hurts so much. Will I get kidney damage before my doctor can see me?  Read Full »

I am urinating less in the morning when compared to later hours. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 37 year old male. I have urination problem for the last six months. There is no urine build up in the morning hours. I am voiding only a small quantity of deep yellow colored concentrated urine with no pressure in the morning. After 2 hours of taking tea and water, I urinate fre...  Read Full »

How to lower my uric acid level?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from gout - podagra for the past 16 years. I cannot maintain a constant diet because every local doctor prescribes different. Have many wens around the body. My uric acid level is higher than normal (till 800). I am taking medicines named Colchicine and Diclofenac. From the...  Read Full »

Ask a Nephrologist Now