Q. Is plough pose and bending body inward in yoga bad for heart?

Dr. Isaac Gana

I have a question regarding my bicuspid aortic valve. I have mild aortic insufficiency, and my left ventricle was dilated. I am taking tablet Losartan 50 mg daily and practicing yoga (plough pose and the front bend).

Does bending the body inward increase pressure on my heart? And does this pressure increase left ventricle dilatation and makes the aortic insufficiency worse?

Kindly help.

#

Sorry to hear about your health issues.

Bending inwards does not affect your health condition. I only advise that you do exercises moderately and stop if you have any shortness of breath or dizziness during any workout.

Best regards.

Thank you for the reply.

I have attached two pictures. I can do the halasana pose with my legs over my head, but I wrap my arms around my buttocks and pull it down even further; I hurt my back and ribs.

Would this cause heart pressure that makes my heart condition worse?

Kindly help.

#

I checked your pictures (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). The exercises would not cause any pressure on your heart or affect circulation.

For a healthier heart, I advise you to get involved in cardio exercises.

Best regards.

|