Q. What are the benefits of Acupuncture in pain management?

Dr. Arul Amuthan
Published on Oct 25, 2019

I am working on a paper for my health class. I have tried to reach out to other acupuncturists in town, but no one will call me back. I wanted to ask the following questions, figured it was worth a try because I don't know what else to do. If you could help me, I would gladly appreciate it.

My questions are:

1. What are the benefits of acupuncture?

2. Does it help with pain management?

3. If so, how does it work to control the pain?

4. What science is behind it?

5. Do you have any interesting stores of how acupuncture has affected someones life?

6. Through your practice, what is your favorite part of acupuncture?

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist Naturopathy Pharmacology Siddha Medicine Toxicology
#

Acupuncture is basically a drug less therapy (non-pharmacological therapy) that involves external manipulation using the Accu needle. There are specific points to be stimulated for particular conditions.

Basically, it believes the manipulation of energy flow through channels that could make someone healthy. No side effects, cost-effective, noninvasiveness are the few advantages in this therapy. Diseases are diagnosed using pulse reading, so modern diagnostic machines are not required.

It is mainly used in pain control. It releases Endorphins (pain-relieving chemicals within the body) that block pain perception or pain conduction. Definitely, its role in pain management is appreciated globally. Acupuncture believes pain is relieved, or disease symptoms are cured due to the correction of energy flow in Accu channels of the body. Some points act on fascia or tendons to relieve pain. There are many publications (case reports) on acupuncture for infertility, post-surgical rehabilitation, normal delivery, asthma, etc. Many people get benefit with less expenses. I liked the anesthesia produced by chinese acupuncturist for caesarian and other surgeries.

What are the possible options available to treat erectile dysfunction?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been having erectile dysfunction problem. My age is 50. I am currently taking regular high blood pressure medicine. Also, I had angioplasty last year. What are the possible treatment options available for erectile dysfunction?  Read Full »

Can I take Theanine capsules to reduce anxiety?

Query: Hi doctor, I have stress related problems as I have had very painful feet since I was a teenager. I have tried chiropractic, orthotics, acupuncture, reiki, cranial sacral therapy and all kinds of natural pain relievers, but nothing worked. I occasionally take Advil to reduce the pain. I have been ...  Read Full »

When I have anxiety, my heart rate jumps up. Should I make an appointment?

Query: Hello doctor,I have frequent recurring pains in my chest due to anxiety. I recently got a fitness watch and noticed that when I am experiencing this my heart rate goes way up. Normal for me is 65 to 70 when resting. When my chest starts hurting it has jumped as high as 135 to 140 when resting. Is th...  Read Full »

Ask a Naturopathy Specialist Now