Q. I have increased twitching in the left thumb. Is that a sign of cervical disc herniation worsening?

Answered by Dr. Tony Magana and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Cervical Disc Herniation or Cervical Dysfunctions? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a 32 year old female with asthma. I have cervical disc herniation for 10 years. Over the past 5 months, symptoms were back with tingling, weakness and shooting pain in arms. I tried medications like Celebrex, Lyrica and also massage, physiotherapy, chiropractor and acupuncture, but the symptoms are getting worse. I did an MRI neck around 3 weeks ago which showed straightening of cervical spine due to muscle spasm. MRI indicates cervical spondylosisdeformans C5-C6 - broad-based disc herniation with right paracentral disc protrusion causing anterior thecal sac indentation with bilateral neural foramen narrowing. Impingement of bilateral exiting nerve roots noted [LT > RT]. Posterior osteophytes were also mentioned. Now, for the past 2 weeks, I have increasing twitching in the thumb especially left which is becoming almost continuous. Is that a sign that the disc is worsening?