Q. What are the ways to treat disc desiccation with pain in leg?

Dr. Alka
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha

I have disc desiccation. There is a pain in my right leg while walking.

Dr. Alka

#

Welcome to iclinq.com.

In Ayurvedic Panchakarma therapy, there is a procedure named kati basti, which is helpful in this problem and your treating Ayurvedic physician will also prescribe you oral medications while performing this procedure. It is a noninvasive procedure done with the help of medicated Ayurvedic oils. You can visit a nearby Ayurvedic hospital or Panchakarma center and ask for the details.

| 

I have disc desiccation at L5 S1 and unable to walk. I consulted Ayurvedic doctor and he gave medicines and oil for the massage with a hot condition. My desiccated disc is hydrated or not? Shall I get an original position (walking, running and jumping)? My condition is (after 15 days using medicines) pain reduced and only my right leg is pulling and burning. How many months to take bed rest and is the disc hydrated? Please give answers.

Dr. Alka

#

I just read your query. See Ayurvedic treatment is helpful up to a great extent if followed properly but it takes longer duration, usually around three to six months. The desiccated disc will get hydrated up to some extent and you will be able to walk in future. However, I cannot say anything about running and jumping right now.

Physiotherapy is also helpful once the condition of extreme pain is over. You can continue physiotherapy with your medicines. Your physiotherapist will help you in maintaining good posture and do some exercises. Later you can learn these exercises. But do not overstrain yourself and do under supervision only. Do not lift heavy objects and maintain good posture. Do not smoke if you do because it will make the condition worsen. Add turmeric and ginger in your diet because they are helpful in this condition. Take treatment regularly and you will soon feel better results.

| 

How to stop demyelination?

Query: Hi doctor, This query is regarding my dad. He has been limping for a year now. He is a construction worker and about two years ago he accidentally fell down from the first floor. He reassures me that his left leg limping is not due to the fall. He had about 20 sessions of physical therapy. He went t...  Read Full »

Does the MRI show the cause of my lower back pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I have lower back pain and right buttock pain. I have consulted a doctor for this, but I am not satisfied with the explanations. I have undergone MRI as per advice and here is the result. Posterior disc bulge with annular tear, moderate to severe stenosis of both neural foramina and mil...  Read Full »

I have severe leg pain from the last six months. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, Since the last six months, I suddenly developed severe pain in both the legs. It arises from the thigh, goes to the calf, and finally reaches the heel. I am unable to go up the stairs or use the Indian style toilets.  Read Full »

Ask an Ayurveda Specialist Now