Q. Is having severe leg pain during pregnancy normal?

Answered by Dr. Karthic Babu Natarajan and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Leg Pain or Pregnancy Safe Drugs? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

There is a complaint of severe pain in both the legs in my wife who is 14 weeks pregnant. She is unable to sleep due to the pain. All ANC check and blood tests are fine. This is the second pregnancy. She has complaints of a lot of pain in her legs on both sides, more on the right leg. She says she is unable to sleep due to pain.

We complained to her obstetrician and she at that time said that such a pain is not expected. However following two to three days, now the pain is persisting and making her life difficult. We have now temporarily traveled away from her doctor. So, I need some help. She has some tenderness in the lower back though not significant. These are similar but less severe complaints before pregnancy. Kindly suggest treatment. Of note, she has taken Paracetamol once, but with minimal relief only.