Q. I am feeling tired after inhaling gasoline in a car shop. Is it serious?

Dr. Arul Amuthan

I have always been scared of gasses and other environments dangers and sometimes I just cannot stop thinking about them. So, please do not scare me more here, but could you please advice me and tell me if the danger I am thinking about is something to worry about or nothing at all.

Everyone knows carbon monoxide is dangerous and car exhaust produces this dangerous gas. But we cannot fully protect against this environment gas, while every car in the country runs on it.

Yesterday we were in a car center, looking for a brand new car to buy, and inside this car center (fearly small) they showed us a car, and they did start the engine inside (gasoline), to show us the backing camera. This was a brand new car, and it did run for about 20 to 30 seconds. And after this, we did talk in the same room for about 1 to 2 minutes. Then we did go out. I did not feel any strange smell and after six hours I did not feel any symptoms. This morning I feel very tired and I think it is because I have been thinking about this over and over in my head. My wife who was with me, do not feel anything and she did not even say a word about this. When we read on the internet, we can read all the danger about this, and I just want to know if this will make any damage to my body or not.

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist Naturopathy Pharmacology Siddha Medicine Toxicology
#

You have the answer "I think it is because I have been thinking about this over and over in my head".

Generally, it is true that environmental toxicity (air pollutions or water pollutions) are increasing that directly affects our health. If you have a respiratory allergy or skin allergy due to pollutions, then it should be taken special care. Otherwise, nothing to worry. In your case, I am 100 % sure that your tiredness is not due to the pollution. Usually, people who are working in the pollution area for a long period, only then they will suffer. Usually, our body is capable of handling pollution issues to a certain level.

You may do some positive things about it such as:

a) Pranayama practice daily morning - to purify the lung.

b) You may maintain interior plants (within your room, office, house) to give more oxygen.

c) You may check the air pollution level of your living city (through government health office). If pollution is more, you may shift to another village or city having less pollution.

Moreover, you be confident that your body has the capablity of fighting against pollution. That confidence is helpful for mental peace. You can consume more vegetables and fruits (natural detoxifier) to maintain your health.

| 

So, this single episode of this car starting inside the car shop, is nothing to worry about for me right?

Dr. Arul Amuthan

#

I am sure your tiredness is not due to the car. Please forget about it. It is something else.

| 

Why do I get sneezing and running nose often?

Query: Hello doctor, Most of the time, I have sneezing and running nose with water for the past 2 to 3 years. I took Cetirizine for it but sometimes I feel better but after that, I face the same problem. Presently, I am not taking medicine. My age is 25 years and I am a male. l am not having past history ...  Read Full »

How to treat tongue twist and hand shivering in an alcoholic?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is an alcoholic. He has not been eating for the last 15 days. He is now suffering from insomnia. He is able to see abnormal things like people standing near to him. He has lost weight. He is having heavy sweat at night on the forehead. His tongue twists and has shivering hands. ...  Read Full »

I had blood in my cough. Is this cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 25-years-old. I am a smoker, and I have smoked for five years. My issue was four months ago. I got my chest X-ray, and it was normal. Then I gave up smoking for three months then again smoked for 1.5 months, but before five months, I smoked 15 cigarettes. After some days on, I was...  Read Full »

Ask a Toxicologist Now