Q. Is it safe to have Ashwagandha along with Effexor and Trazodone?

Dr. Arul Amuthan

I am on Effexor 187 mg and Trazodone 50 mg at night for depression and anxiety. My depression and anxiety have been worse, and I did not want to keep going up on with more medicines. So I tried Ashwagandha 600 mg in the morning and have seen a great deal of help in my mood and anxiety. I have not even considered if it is safe with my medication. Kindly advice.

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist Naturopathy Pharmacology Siddha Medicine Toxicology
#

Effexor (Venlafaxine) and Trazodone are good drugs for depression and anxiety but will have some side effects. You may take Ashwagandha 600 mg (morning and night), Centella Asiatica (morning and night) as a supportive therapy. There must be one hour gap between modern drugs and herbal supplements, to prevent their interactions. Consuming Ashwagandha and Centella Asiatica is safe. On a long term basis, it will reduce the side effects of modern tablets and also stabilize the nervous system functions.

| 

I had Er-positive and Pr-positive breast cancer and I am on a hormone blocker. My oncologist said I can use Ashwaganda, but I am just concerned if it produces estrogen or progesterone? I have not been able to find very much information on it. Kindly advice.

Dr. Arul Amuthan

#

There are enough researches done on the chemopreventive (and anticancer) effect of Ashwagandha on estrogen and progesterone receptors positive tumors. All the preclinical data showed the supportive result that Ashwagandha itself has anticancer and prevents cell multiplication in these supportive hormone tumors.

Only countable number of clinical researches have been done on this plant in breast cancer. Ashwagandha can help in restoring energy level after cancer therapy. However, in your case, you may clinically or through a lab, continuously monitor the outcome in cancer benefit. I feel this herb will be beneficial to you.

| 

Depression - Awareness, Self-Diagnosis, and Treatment Modalities

Article Overview: Depression is among the top five causes of morbidity in today’s world. It remains largely undiagnosed and underreported because of a lack of adequate knowledge, both among the patients as well as the physicians. It is majorly characterized by the presence of a continuous sad mood, anhedonia, and easy fatiguability along with a host of secondary symptoms, which aid in quantifying the severity of the depressive disorder. So, it is the need of the hour that awareness is raised among the masses regarding this illness that is soon poised to be the number one cause of morbidity. Read Article

Dr. Ajay Singh

Depression has been recorded in the annals of history since time immemorial, but never has it assumed so much significance as it has in today’s world. With the advent of technology today, the human society is evolving by leaps and bounds with every passing day. As the saying goes that every co...  Read Article

Can Ashwagandha and Shilajit be used for fatigue due to masturbation?

Query: Hi doctor, Earlier in my life I had the problem of over-masturbation. This was related to my mental depression as well. However, I have recovered from the habit of over-masturbation. But, still I masturbate once in four days. This causes fatigue, back pain and leg pain. Can I use supplements such as...  Read Full »

Will taking Ashwagandha for perimenopause symptoms cause any side-effects?

Query: Hello doctor, I am thinking of using Ashwagandha supplements (400 mg) to help with my perimenopause symptoms. I would like to have an extensive list of side effects if there are any. I have no known illnesses and take no medications apart from Omega 3 twice a day.  Read Full »

Ask a Naturopathy Specialist Now