Q. My friend is diagnosed with first stage of conversion reaction disease. What to do?

Dr. Mehwish Mursaleen
Published on Dec 01, 2019

My friend is 20 years old, female. Before some days ago she was sense less on a train and then this again happened with her. She consulted a doctor and he says that she is suffering from the first stage of conversion reaction disease. But the doctor could not suggest any medicines but he says that the last stage of this disease is paralysis. Doctor says to my friend that do not take any tension and to keep her mind free all the time. She was feeling weak what will she do?

Dr. Mehwish Mursaleen

Psychologist/ Counsellor
#

I have read and completely understand that you feel quite concerned for your friend. As you have mentioned that she has been diagnosed by the doctor as having conversion disorder, it is quite probable that she may undergo these conversion attacks at any time.

There are purely psychological reasons behind this disorder, no medical cause lead to this condition. Therefore, generally, no medical treatment could be found a cure for these attacks.

If the doctor has suggested this diagnosis after complete assessment then there may be no further need for the tests. If complete testing has not been administered yet then you may go to a psychologist for confirming the diagnosis after keenly observing her medical test reports.

Needs to be differentiated for the types of conversion disorder according to the DSM-5 (diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorder) criteria.

Conversion disorder.

Generally, no particular medication is prescribed for conversion disorder. However, some doctors may suggest medication after observing the patient's current condition (beware these medications would reduce anxiety or tension but would not cure the conversion disorder).

The effective treatment for conversion disorder is found to be psychotherapy. Consult any psychologist or psychiatrist specialized in conducting psychotherapy sessions. Or you can suggest some online consultation sessions.

Treatment mode can be cognitive behavioral therapy plus psycho-education.

Must take expert guidance on how to deal with the patient behaviorally. Family members, closed ones of such patients also need guidance because their mishandling can increase the frequency of conversion attacks.

Do take follow-up if you feel the need.

| 

Why do I get pain and gassy feeling in the stomach?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having symptoms of stomach ache like having gall stones and noticing gas. I went to the doctor and had all the blood tests. The result showed nothing, but a low vitamin D. I went to so many doctors and nothing found abnormal. I am always thinking about my condition and the situation ...  Read Full »

Diagnosis and Management of Psychogenic Movement Disorders

Article Overview: This article discusses the various types of psychogenic movement disorders, clinical pointers towards their diagnosis and effective treatment strategies. Read Article

Movements are categorized into four classes: Automatic movements. Voluntary movements. Semivoluntary movements. Involuntary movements. Automatic Movements:   Automatic movements are learned motor acts that are performed without conscious effort. Fo...  Read Article

Ask a Psychologist Counsellor Now