Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. My friend is diagnosed with first stage of conversion reaction disease. What to do?

Answered by
Dr. Mehwish Mursaleen
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 01, 2019

Hello doctor,

My friend is 20 years old, female. Before some days ago she was sense less on a train and then this again happened with her. She consulted a doctor and he says that she is suffering from the first stage of conversion reaction disease. But the doctor could not suggest any medicines but he says that the last stage of this disease is paralysis. Doctor says to my friend that do not take any tension and to keep her mind free all the time. She was feeling weak what will she do?

Dr. Mehwish Mursaleen

Psychologist/ Counsellor


Welcome to

I have read and completely understand that you feel quite concerned for your friend. As you have mentioned that she has been diagnosed by the doctor as having conversion disorder, it is quite probable that she may undergo these conversion attacks at any time.

The Probable causes:

There are purely psychological reasons behind this disorder, no medical cause lead to this condition. Therefore, generally, no medical treatment could be found a cure for these attacks.

Investigations to be done:

If the doctor has suggested this diagnosis after complete assessment then there may be no further need for the tests. If complete testing has not been administered yet then you may go to a psychologist for confirming the diagnosis after keenly observing her medical test reports.

Differential diagnosis:

Needs to be differentiated for the types of conversion disorder according to the DSM-5 (diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorder) criteria.

Probable diagnosis:

Conversion disorder.

Treatment plan:

Generally, no particular medication is prescribed for conversion disorder. However, some doctors may suggest medication after observing the patient's current condition (beware these medications would reduce anxiety or tension but would not cure the conversion disorder).

The effective treatment for conversion disorder is found to be psychotherapy. Consult any psychologist or psychiatrist specialized in conducting psychotherapy sessions. Or you can suggest some online consultation sessions.

Treatment mode can be cognitive behavioral therapy plus psycho-education.

Preventive measures:

Must take expert guidance on how to deal with the patient behaviorally. Family members, closed ones of such patients also need guidance because their mishandling can increase the frequency of conversion attacks.

Regarding follow up:

Do take follow-up if you feel the need.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Bipolar Disorder: Multiple Mood Episodes, but where is the Solution?
What Is ADHD and How Is It Managed?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

What causes pain and gassy feeling in the stomach?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having symptoms of stomach ache like having gall stones and noticing gas. I went to the doctor and had all the blood tests. The result showed nothing, but a low vitamin D. I went to so many doctors and nothing found abnormal. I am always thinking about my condition and the situation ...  Read Full »

Diagnosis and Management of Psychogenic Movement Disorders

Article Overview: This article discusses the various types of psychogenic movement disorders, clinical pointers towards their diagnosis and effective treatment strategies. Read Article

Movements are categorized into four classes: Automatic movements. Voluntary movements. Semivoluntary movements. Involuntary movements. Automatic Movements:   Automatic movements are learned motor acts that are performed without conscious effort. Fo...  Read Article

Also Read

Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»
I was diagnosed with Celiac disease a year back. Can you suggest any medicine?
Having celiac fromnlast 10 year dignosis recently ayear ago since then i am gluten free still cant absorb food feeling w...  Read more»
My head is shivering from 20 days, and it feels like head trauma. What is the cause?
Hello sir, My head is shivering like anything , feeling like trauma is head. And its start anytime in a day and when s...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychologist Counsellor Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.