Q. Will physiotherapy help to treat Erb's palsy?

Dr. Jay Indravadan Patel

My daughter has Erbs palsy but we did physiotherapy for three months and the doctor said she is fine but she is still struggling with the hand and this is about six months after the doctor discharged us. Please tell me what should I do.

#

Thank you for providing the brief history of your daughter. I am sorry firstly to hear that your daughter is being diagnosed with Erb's palsy. Well, I would suggest you to continue physiotherapy for atleast three days a week as it will be of good help for her. Usually, cases with Erb's palsy recovers well when they perform physiotherapy for over longer periods in infants.

Firstly, in the initial stages the physiotherapist will do passive movements of the limb but off late it will be progressed to toy reaching where she can use the maximum of her efforts and learn proper movements. We need to teach brain the movement. In between there might be a use of infant stimulation which will be of use to activate the muscles which are not active.

A competitive physiotherapist for using the stimulation over an infant is needed as they have to analyze to which muscle it has to be given. Also a precaution has to be taken while applying a stimulation to the infant as the kid might not like it, so a competitive physiotherapist is a must for this. In my clinical practice over a period of 12 years I have seen many infants with Erb's palsy. They have responded well with the physiotherapy and with careful attention.

Breech delivery.

Erb's palsy.

Physiotherapy.

|