Q. What can cause inconspicuous akinetopsia?

Dr. Parth Singh
Published on Jul 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 03, 2019

I am experiencing inconspicuous akinetopsia, which can be caused by Nefazodone, Risperdal and Trazodone. I take Abilify 10 mg, Trileptal 600 mg twice a day, Luvox 150 mg twice a day and Trazodone 50 g as needed for sleep. Could any of the other medicines can cause akinetopsia? The akinetopsia happens only while driving. Everything looks like snapshots instead of a smooth video like I am seeing in a strobe light. Also, the road tiles and rocking back and forth. I had it 10 years ago. I am on medication for bipolar for 10 years now. Is this illusory paIinopsia? I saw an ophthalmologist and he said that all tests came back normal. My MRI also came back fine except for a tiny cavum septum pellucidum. Please help.

Dr. Parth Singh

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology
#

• Inconspicuous akinetopsia (motion blindness) may be caused due to defects in visual cortex or may be caused by certain antidepressants like Nefazodone and its older sibling Trazodone and hallucinogens like LSD (Lysergic acid diethylamide).
  • It is very unlikely to be caused by the drugs taken by you other than Trazodone.
  • Illusory palinopsia, which is a visual disturbance defined as the persistent or recurrence of a visual image after the stimulus has been removed, can be caused due to Risperidone in addition to Trazodone.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

How long will it take to get Trazodone out of my system?

Dr. Parth Singh

#

• The elimination half life of Trazodone is about seven to nine hours. So, it will be eliminated within two days.
  • However, its metabolites take longer time to get eliminated out of the body.
  • Your system will be cleared of Trazodone within three to five days.

For further doubts consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Is it good to take Risperidone for a long time for hallucination?

Query: Hi doctor, My brother had five to six episodes of hallucinations, and he takes Risperidone 2 mg for one year. Is it safe to take this medicine for such a long time? Can psychosis come back after stopping the medication? What are the side effects?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Antipsychotics are usually required for long-term. But if the person is suffering from acute and transient psychotic disorders, then these drugs are used for three months to one year depending upon the situation. After completing the drug treatment, relapse of psychosis...  Read Full

Which antidepressant is less likely to cause hyperhidrosis?

Query: Hello doctor,Every antidepressant I take causes me a lot of hyperhidrosis. Which one on the market is less likely to cause hyperhidrosis? Fluoxetine?  Read Full >>

Dr. Aditya Gupta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Though the propensity of an antidepressant medicine to cause hyperhidrosis differs on a patient to patient basis, Mirtazapine and Bupropion are less likely to cause it. You can also discuss with the treating psychiatrist regarding adding Cyproheptadine or Benztropine...  Read Full