Q. How long is Risperidone effective?

Dr. Prashanth

I discontinued Risperidone two months ago. I have not had any psychotic symptoms. I believe my schizoaffective disorder is in remission. However, can Risperidone continue to have an effect two months after taking it? If so what is the maximum amount of time Risperidone continue to have an effect? I took it for four years and took 5 mg twice daily. I am a 44-year old male. I also take Buproprion 75 mg once daily.

#

Since you have taken Risperidone for four years, the brain circuits and its neurotransmitters had been under control. The medicine though it might have been washed out from your body, the effect of it remains for a few weeks to months and your brain circuits may start functioning abnormally after few months and once your symptoms come up again, the dose at which you were taking may not be sufficient to control the symptoms later. So, I advise you to immediately restart medications and do regular follow up with the doctor.

|