Q. Can I take Risperidone along with Wellbutrin? Will it be effective?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha

I had two psychotic episodes last year and was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder. I have recently prescribed Risperidone (1 mg) in combination with Wellbutrin (150 mg). One is a dopamine blocker while the other is a dopamine reuptake inhibitor. Would not these cancel each other out?

#

The short answer to your question is no. They do not cancel each other out.

You may be aware that Risperidone (a dopamine antagonist) is prescribed as an antipsychotic and also helps to stabilize mood whereas Wellbutrin (Bupropion- norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitor) is used as an antidepressant.

You need to be monitored for any potential side effects when you are taking a combination of these two medications. So kindly follow up with your prescribing doctor who will be able to review and titrate the dose accordingly. Also, inform your health care professionals if you are prescribed any other medication for other reasons. They will need to consider potential drug interactions. Take care.

|