Q. Is it normal to masturbate during periods?

Dr. Arooj Najmussaqib
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 28, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

I think that I will become maniac in some days. I am going with periods and tend to masturbate the second time. First time on the first day of the cycle and then now on the third day. My urges have become quite high, and I need help to control it. Even I am going by some emotional distresses, and maybe because of that, I tend to masturbate. I want to control and be normal. I feel very tired nowadays and not willing to work at all.

Dr. Arooj Najmussaqib

Psychologist/ Counsellor
#

Hormonal imbalances may make one's sexual drive higher. Some women do feel increased arousal during periods. First of all, it is okay to masturbate even when you are under some distress. Though for some religious reasons and cultural norms, it becomes not acceptable by society, that is alright. Researches show that there is no negative impact of masturbation physically. However, feeling tired showed that it does not help you get out of your emotional distress, that is a problem.

If you do not feel relaxed afterward than you need to channelize your urges towards physical exertion, exercise or increase water intake and improve diet. It is also good to consult some counselor to relieve your stress and learn individualized coping strategies.

|