Q. How to come out of unwanted thoughts in OCD?

Answered by
Dr. Abhijeet Deshmukh
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hi doctor,

I am a medical college student. My age is 20 and my weight is 38 kg. I have obsessive compulsive disorder for a year. Also, before a year I suffered with deep distress. I cried and scolded myself. I always remember my beautiful past life. I liked to become a doctor in my first attempt, but I could not get. I was disappointed and avoided all excluding my family. But, today I feel fine. I like to rearrange my life. I like to live a good life. I trust myself. Hereafter, I never miss myself and I control myself. But, still my mind reminds me the things and persons that I do not like. Please help me



Welcome to icliniq.com.

First of all, I congratulate you for entering into medical course and wish you a great life ahead.

I think your main issue currently is unwanted thoughts in your mind. This can be a residual symptom of obsessive compulsive disorder.

Last year, when the stress in life was high, the symptoms of OCD must have been much more. With reduced stress, most symptoms are also reduced.

There are a few things you can do about this are as follows:

  • Learn some relaxation exercises. Read about Jacobson's progressive muscle relaxation technique. You can do that once a day.
  • Please consult a psychiatrist or a psychologist to talk about your current symptoms. A clinical interview will establish if you need medication for some time.
  • Maintain a thought diary. Note down your thoughts, especially those that are persistent.
  • Try to see if these thoughts are affecting your day-to-day life. If they are, then you might have to consult someone.
  • You have mentioned that you do some things again and again. Check if doing them again and again solves the doubt in your mind. You have to slowly and gradually reduce the number of times you are doing those things again and again.
  • Every time you have the urge to do the repetitive task, imagine in your mind stop sign and that can help you.
  • You can also try the rubber band technique. Wear a rubber band around your wrist and when repetitive thoughts come into the mind, pull the rubber and leave. That will reduce the thoughts.
  • These techniques have to be done daily. If you visit a doctor soon, then you can consider taking a course of medication for OCD.

For further information consult a psychotherapist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychotherapist

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

How can I get over being sexually attracted to children?

Query: Hi doctor, When I see a child, whether in public or at home, I always imagine them naked. I look at them and start to visualize them in sexual situations. I want to keep looking at them, even though I know I should not. I am always watching naked kid images on the internet. I do not believe I actua...  Read Full »

Can my OCD get cured with lower dose of medicine?

Query: Hi doctor, I have brain lesion in the left temporal lobe size 0.9 mm as found in brain MRI. I had seizure twice two years ago. I am also suffering from OCD. Fluoxetine 40 mg has been very effective in treating OCD, but caused memory problem, speech problem and lack of concentration. When can I lower...  Read Full »

Suffering from OCD(Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). Taking medicines, but I do not feel completely good. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) since last 10 years. Getting treated by a doctor with medicines. But I do not feel completely good. Many times I go into very sad mood. Please give me suggestions.  Read Full »

Also Read

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychotherapist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.