Q. I am getting angry by remembering old incidents. Should I see a psychiatrist?

Answered by
Dr. Lisa Barros Mascarenhas
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 14, 2017

Hi doctor,

I am a 40 year old male. I do not think I am depressed as such. I am doing everything fine and having a happy family life. But, something is troubling me since a year or so. I get anger, mostly by remembering old incidents, sometimes incidents from my childhood. Mostly involving my father, who did many wrongs to me. I get angry by remembering these events. Mostly, turn violent mentally. It causes an immediate mood-swing, but everything becomes normal instantly, as I come out of it very quickly. It goes off in a flash. Initially, these convulsions were only internal. I mean that I just had them in my mind. But slowly, they have begun to surface. It became readable on my face, and sometimes I make gestures responding to them mostly when I am alone. My wife has complained a few times that I keep saying something alone, at times. My 5 year old kid have also asked me at times as he has seen anger on my face because of no reason. Sometimes, it comes when I am driving, and I react to that by increasing the speed or harsh overtaking. I take control as soon as I realize that I did it. It happens more if I drive alone. People give me looks as they see something on my face. I work as a software engineer. I work on complex projects and doing my job successfully. This problem is not affecting me right now, but later it might if the things get further out of hand. I try to avoid these thoughts actively, but they do surface. I tried meditating to calm the mind. Do not know if it is working. Based on my symptoms, do you think I am suffering from a mental ailment? Obviously, the things are not normal. What do you call this kind of behavior? Should I see a psychiatrist?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Thank you for your query.

  • The thoughts seem quite repetitive and not in your control from what you are saying. Something that happened could have triggered it. Also, you seem quite disturbed about it, and it is affecting your driving.
  • In my opinion, it is the best to consult a psychiatrist face to face. You need to be evaluated in details and be counseled. The earlier, the better.
  • Cognitive behavior therapy also works wonders with helping one deal with such repetitive thoughts which trouble them.
  • In the meantime, pen down your thoughts on paper, especially those troubling you and later throw it in the dustbin. It will help you control your mind to some extent at least.
  • It is like training your mind that it is only during that fixed time you think about negative thoughts and how you feel about them and throwing away the paper is like getting rid of them.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Why do I think too hard to pronounce people's names in my mind?

Query: Hi doctor, I suffer from derealization and Asperger's syndrome, and I accidentally think too hard about how to pronounce people's names. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I really want to fix whatever it is I just accidentally did. But there is nothing I can do. Every possible solution interferes w...  Read Full »

I have a habit of tongue thrusting. How to stop it?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a habit of tongue thrusting. Now, I am using permanent retainers for the past four months. How to overcome it?  Read Full »

How can I reduce my depression?

Query: Hi doctor, When I wake up from my sleep, I feel empty. I am not willing to do my work. I neglect my study. I always stay alone in my room. I am feeling lonely. I got a breakup. After having a breakup, my depression got worse. I am crying every day for around seven months. I am unable to focus anymo...  Read Full »

Also Read

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychiatrist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.