Q. Suffering from OCD(Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). Taking medicines, but I do not feel completely good. Please help.

Dr. Arooj Najmussaqib
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 16, 2014 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am suffering from OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) since last 10 years. Getting treated by a doctor with medicines. But I do not feel completely good. Many times I go into very sad mood.

Please give me suggestions.

#

Hi, Thanks for writing to us. Your answer is as follows:

OCD is manageable with the help of regular psychiatric and therapeutic work.

Only medicines can never treat OCD, neither managed completely.

Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) is paired with medical treatment to deal with obsessions and compulsions simultaneously.

Medications are only used to decrease the extreme symptoms of anxiety (because of obsessions); and once they are controlled, CBT has to be immediately started for the person.

CBT is mainly used to teach the skills to the person and guide him/her to control his/her obsessions and manage compulsions (behaviors) linked with thoughts.

So, you are advised to consult a CBT-therapist near you and take regular sessions to learn certain techniques including ERP(Exposure and Response Prevention), Relaxation Therapy, DIET and sleep management.

Alternatively you can book for an online therapy at icliniq, and we will help you with this as well.

Hope it helps.

|