Autism

What are the possible symptoms of autism?

Query: Hi doctor,My son is two and a half years old. He was diagnosed with autism when he was one year and eight months old. He got improved now and it is amazing to us. He is talking words, he loves to play, he asks us to play with him, he loves us a lot and he understands what we ask to him. He is intera...  Read Full »

Dr. Guruvamsee Krishna Avvaru

Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I want to tell you briefly about autistic spectrum disorder. It is a pervasive developmental disorder and it needs a life long diagnosis and a fluctuating course. It will recur any time in life and mainly you need to focus on communication skills. Autistic children are ...  Read Full »

Is there a specific doctor who diagnosis autism in adults?

Query: Hello! I wanted to ask about autism, specifically autism in adults. I am a 21 year old adult, and I have a confirmed anxiety disorder. I did research and looked up information on autism after hearing some of the possible symptoms from someone online, and realizing that some of them I felt applied to...  Read Full »

Dr. Anil Kumar Kumawat

Answer: hello, I can understand about ur feelings, autism spectrum disorder has problems in three main areas: 1.Social interactions 2.Verbal and nonverbal communication 3.Repetitive or ritualistic behaviors. I am writing some common symptoms of autism in adult: 1.Person has Difficulty in interpreting what...  Read Full »

What are the symptoms of autism?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been to a councellor before at my high school about symptoms of anxiety and she told my mother that I may have symptoms of an autism disorder. I do not really know what to look for symptom-wise but I have done a little research and so far this is what I experience (almost daily...  Read Full »

Dr. Kuppili Pooja

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly please do not feel sorry about the long list, Please relax. This does not sound like autism to me. In autism, there are issues with social communication, verbal communication, repeated stereotypic behaviours which I do no’t see in your description. What it lo...  Read Full »

Kindly prescribe antiepileptics for seizures in autistic patient.

Query: Hello doctor, I have an autistic and hyperactive person in my family, who is around 19 years of age. He has been having epileptic seizures for more than a year now. The medication he has been prescribed by the doctors right now is Tegretol (Tegral). However, we think it has may have side effects. I...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com. You are absolutely right that there may be side effects of prescribed medicine. There are many more alternative anti-epileptic medicines available. But every medicine has possibility of its own side effects. Consideration to change to alternative medicine is done if so...  Read Full »

What to do if a retarded child suffers from epilepsy even after medication?

Query: Hello doctor, My 13-year-old sister has been diagnosed with various mental disorders since the age of 2. My parents have taken her to doctors since then because they have noticed that she was not developing like the other children. Almost every doctor gave another diagnostic such as autism (each do...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hello doctor, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand the feeling and problems faced by you. As I can see epilepsy is the main problem at this moment and even a combination of three drugs is not making her seizure-free. Despite her treatment, she continued to have seizures and in ...  Read Full »

My daughter has autism and under medication, but her hallucinations are not controlled. What should be done?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 12 years old, and she always showed a great deal of anxiety started having a lot of school refusal during 5th grade, so we took her to see a psychiatrist who ultimately diagnosed her with high functioning autism and started her on a Lexapro. School refusal continued, bu...  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician, Psychiatrist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is common for adolescents with high functioning autism (HFA) to experience high levels of anxiety, especially when they are pushed outside their comfort zone. Many go on to develop hallucinatory experiences like hearing critical voices at this stage when they stru...  Read Full »

1-year-old baby has not started saying any word. Is this a sign of autism?

Query: Hello doctor, My 1-year-old son has not started saying any word like mama or dada yet and I am worried. It could be sign of autism, though he turns when his name is mentioned, plays with his siblings, etc.  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Even though the child turns when his name is mentioned I would advise you to first get a hearing screening done to rule out hearing issues. Next, about the autism. Generally autism cannot be diagnosed in children below the age of 3 years. So it would be very harsh to la...  Read Full »

Can viral infection during early pregnancy cause autism?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is seven weeks pregnant (about three weeks from fertilization, we think, because she has long cycles) and came down with shingles almost 2 weeks ago (and a cold about a week ago). She has been taking Acyclovir and the pain has reduced but is still present. We are worried about th...  Read Full »

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Shingles is herpes zoster, which is the reactivation of the chicken-pox virus in the body due to an immunocompromised status like pregnancy. But thankfully, the effects are not disastrous for the unborn baby as your wife already has antibodies against the virus in her b...  Read Full »

What are the symptoms of a child with autism?

Query: Hi doctor, I have just noticed recently my 15 months old when he plays with his electronic toys that light up. He will look closely at where they light up and open his mouth like a stun. It does not happen all the time though. I know this is a sign of autism. But he has great eye contact, responds ...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please note that whatever you have described is a sign of a normal growing child. It is not a sign of autism. These are signs of the child grasping the knowledge of the things and interacting with things around him. Please do not worry. Also, I would advise tender lovin...  Read Full »

Is speech development delayed in cerebral palsy?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 18 months of age. She was born at 38 weeks due to placenta failure and oxygen issues. She was 5 lbs 10 ounces at birth and was healthy (did not have to stay in the NICU). She hit all of her milestones in terms of rolling over, crawling and walking (walked at 14.5 months...  Read Full »

Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand the situation you are facing with your child. As there is no history of perinatal insult and NICU stay at birth, cerebral palsy could be less likely at this early age to diagnose. The description you made is more of a like to be an autistic spectrum disorder....  Read Full »