Q. How to get rid of the pain on the right side of the bottom of my spine?

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on May 27, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 11, 2019

I am a 25-year-old male, around 199 cm tall and 85 kg weight. I have been playing sports when I was young (volleyball, tennis, and basketball) and I was fit for a long time. However, since I started with higher education (around six years ago), I tended to study in a semi-bent position in my bed. Recently, I started feeling a dull pain on the right side of the bottom of my spine, which persists until I either bend my spine upwards with a pillow or sleep.

I also have to note that I sleep on my side, with a pillow between my knees. When I walk, this pain in the side of my spine increases (I do not feel any unbearable pain, it is just uncomfortable), but I feel a sensation from that spot in my spine to the bottom of my right leg (on the back side of it, mostly). Does this seem like a common issue? If so, please tell me what exercises I can do to prevent my spine from going bad? I am in a period of intense exams, and I need some advice on how to stop this pain?

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao

Physiotherapy
#

I read your concern. I feel the pain what you describe is due to bad posture adapted all these days. It could be a neural pain due to any disc issue and may not be a worse prolapse. This may warrant a thorough examination of your spine and hip. As of now, I recommend you to do spine extension with pillows frequently, avoid the semi-bent posture which gives you the pain. Do certain glute and core stability exercises. Keep a lot of icing often like once in two hours. Please do revert back to me after two days and let me know the status of the pain.

Had cervical polypectomy and experiencing back pain. Will it subside in time?

Query: Hi doctor, I had cervical polypectomy and was told to expect brown discharge. Now experiencing cramping, minor bleeding, vinegar smell, and severe back pain, to the point that I am dizzy and nauseous. A couple of days earlier had a bunch of discharge that looked like dark reddish and orangish skin....  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is normal to experience reddish brown discharge for 4-5 days post cervical polypectomy, but it should not cause any back pain per se unless there has been a secondary infection or vaginitis or bacterial vaginosis which is quite likely with vinegar smell. Flagyl (Met...  Read Full

I have back pain due to sitting in front of computer for long hours. Kindly advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 27 years old male. I was sitting in front of the computer for more than 10 hours per day for past one month. I have mild pain in my lower back, not a constant pain. the pain either left side or right side but the right side is more time the pain always shift its position. and whil...  Read Full >>

Dr. Jayaprakash Reddy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). According to your complaints, I will suggest you few things. Do not sit in front of the computer for a long time not more than one hour after that at least walk for 2 to 3 minutes and you can get...  Read Full

Can my back pain be due to the tethered spinal cord?

Query: Hello doctor, It is about nine months since I have had L4 hemilaminectomy, L5 foraminotomy and drilling of bone fracture at L4-L5 level. I had an MRI two months later due to severe pain. The MRI report presented inflammation and edema of the back muscles, inflammation of nerve roots, compressi...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The tethered cord is a result of fibrosis and inflammation. Your symptoms of back pain and weakened bowel and bladder movements could be explained with the tethered cord.  ...  Read Full

Ask a Physiotherapist Now