Q. How to get rid of the pain on the right side of the bottom of my spine?

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao
This is a premium question & answer published on May 27, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

I am a 25-year-old male, around 199 cm tall and 85 kg weight. I have been playing sports when I was young (volleyball, tennis, and basketball) and I was fit for a long time. However, since I started with higher education (around six years ago), I tended to study in a semi-bent position in my bed. Recently, I started feeling a dull pain on the right side of the bottom of my spine, which persists until I either bend my spine upwards with a pillow or sleep.

I also have to note that I sleep on my side, with a pillow between my knees. When I walk, this pain in the side of my spine increases (I do not feel any unbearable pain, it is just uncomfortable), but I feel a sensation from that spot in my spine to the bottom of my right leg (on the back side of it, mostly). Does this seem like a common issue? If so, please tell me what exercises I can do to prevent my spine from going bad? I am in a period of intense exams, and I need some advice on how to stop this pain?

#

I read your concern. I feel the pain what you describe is due to bad posture adapted all these days. It could be a neural pain due to any disc issue and may not be a worse prolapse. This may warrant a thorough examination of your spine and hip. As of now, I recommend you to do spine extension with pillows frequently, avoid the semi-bent posture which gives you the pain. Do certain glute and core stability exercises. Keep a lot of icing often like once in two hours. Please do revert back to me after two days and let me know the status of the pain.

|