Q. Experiencing severe back pain following cervical polypectomy. Is it normal?

I had cervical polypectomy and was told to expect brown discharge. Now experiencing cramping, minor bleeding, vinegar smell, and severe back pain, to the point that I am dizzy and nauseous. A couple of days earlier had a bunch of discharge that looked like dark reddish and orangish skin. I was taking Flagyl 500 mg 2 times a day, just took the last dose earlier. I do not react well to antibiotics, and I am taking 400 mg Ibuprofen every 4 hours today. The back pain is unbearable, and I want to know what could be the problem. Does this sound like something I can take care of with an increased dose of ibuprofen or should I go to an urgent care facility? Is there a better OTC I can take or a combination that might be more effective? Are the above symptoms normal or typical following a cervical polypectomy for a 1 cm polyp or is the back injury separate? Can I expect these symptoms to subside over time?

#

It is normal to experience reddish brown discharge for 4-5 days post cervical polypectomy, but it should not cause any back pain per se unless there has been a secondary infection or vaginitis or bacterial vaginosis which is quite likely with vinegar smell.

Flagyl (Metronidazole) as an antibiotic can often cause dizziness if adequate water intake is not practiced, and also as you are not in the habit of taking antibiotics, this can further aggravate as well. Please do not take plain Ibuprofen four times a day as this may cause acidity and increased gastritis without an antacid preparation and can add on to nausea.

The back pain can be secondary to an accompanied fresh urinary tract infection which may have developed during these days due to decreased water intake possibly and also due to possible bacterial vaginosis or vaginitis.

You need to be examined fresh for a review by your gynecologist again, and a high vaginal swab culture is recommended for a possible change in antibiotics and ruling out bacterial vaginosis.

For the pain relief, you may switch to tablet Aceclofenac 100 mg twice a day, as it is more effective and free from side effects. However, a urine culture is also recommended. Please visit your gynecologist for review.

|