I had a balloon sinuplasty procedure five weeks ago. The CT scan showed obstruction. Please help.

Q. Is it possible that my sinus has widened after the balloon sinuplasty?

Dr. Oliyath Ali
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 03, 2022 and last reviewed on: Sep 03, 2023

My question concerns the balloon sinuplasty procedure I had nearly five weeks ago. The doctor widened the opening of my maxillary sinuses, as the CT scan showed obstruction. Is it possible for the procedure to enlarge it too much? I am asking because I feel that it is now too wide, plus it feels cold. The doctor tells me that the sensation is due to the nerves needing to heal. Please advise.

#

I understand your concern. The doctor would not have done too much widening. Only adequate widening is done. Further, it is not mechanically possible to do too much widening because bone removal is needed, which can be accomplished by surgery only, not a balloon. It is normal to feel like your cheeks are empty and cold in the area after a sinus procedure during recovery. Do not worry. You must follow medical treatment even after the procedure. Sinus surgery or balloon sinuplasty is not a one-stop procedure and will facilitate medical management. Just keep up with the treatment.

|