Biliary Atresia

Can Cardinal drops help in reducing bilirubin levels in newborn?

Query: Hello doctor, My granddaughter was normally born on 11 April 20. Her birth weight was 2.6 kg, currently weighing 3 kg with persistent jaundice. Her total bilirubin is 3.47 and direct is 3.19. She is breastfeeding along with formula as per pediatrician suggestion with couple of blood tests and ult...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash Nagar

Paediatrician, Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Persistence of direct bilirubin at two months of age needs to be evaluated properly. Most importantly, what is the color of her stool? Is your doctor told you anything about the liver whether it is big or normal? There are so many causes, but most important and seriou...  Read Full »

Which surgery is required for biliary atresia?

Query: Hello doctor,My 4 month old baby has jaundice. The doctor is suggesting surgery. After seeing the report, can you please guide me what is better for us and is surgery the only option?  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, Paediatrician, Pediatric Allergy Asthma Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your description, the child is having jaundice and as per the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is obstructive jaundice. It could be biliary atresia as per the ultrasound report. Treatment for biliary atresia is only surgery and sur...  Read Full »