Bipolar Depression

After taking medicines for depression, my cousin remains drowsy. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, My 22 year old cousin has been feeling depressed, easily irritable, and anxious for past few months. He also smokes 5 to 6 cigarettes per day. We consulted a psychiatrist last week, and he prescribed some medicines. After taking these medications he is feeling drowsy, and he says that his...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Gohil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the attached prescription (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The medicines which are prescribed for your cousin are antidepressants, mood stabilizer, and multivitamins. As you have told that your cousin is feeling depressed, irritable,...  Read Full »

I wake up every day with a heavy head and dizziness. Why?

Query: Hi doctor,I wake up with a heavy head, headache, and drowsiness. It seems tough to do anything in the morning. But, I feel more energetic in the evening. Why?  Read Full »

Dr. Alon Seifan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Many things can cause morning fatigue. If you snore at night, you may have a condition called sleep apnea or otherwise known as obstructive sleep apnea. This causes a lack of oxygen and can cause people to feel drowsy during the day. However, this would not explain w...  Read Full »

How to identify a person having bipolar spectrum?

Query: Hi doctor,How to diagnose and treat bipolar II? How is it different from bipolar I? How do you identify people on the bipolar spectrum? What are the biggest misconceptions about Bipolar II? Is it the same thing as bipolar depression? Kindly explain me.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Alike any psychiatric disorders, diagnosis of bipolar disorder is completely based on the history. This is elaborated from the patient, family members, colleagues and significant others. There are set of symptoms and the history need to suggest the presence of a cert...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to get treatment in a hospital for a patient with depression and bipolar personality?

Query: Hi doctor, My dad went into a kind of depression last year. It has been a year now, and he still has not come out of it. Nor have there been signs of improvement. During the earlier months, it was just fright and anxiousness. He would cry and stuff. During the middle months, it turned more into a f...  Read Full »

Dr. Bn Bhagat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms which you have mentioned point towards psychiatric illness. First of all, you should take him to visit the psychiatric doctor. The doctor will examine him thoroughly through medical history, progression of symptoms, duration of symptoms, and other vita...  Read Full »

Please help me with bipolar disorder and depression.

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from bipolar disorder. I had depression before and I was taking Cipralex. Due to its overdose, I got bipolar disorder. My problem is overthinking. It drives me badly. Sometimes, it makes me depressed and I cannot do anything due to it. I was taking 750 mg for six months an...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Overdose of Cipralex (Escitalopram) does not cause bipolar disorder. You have a possibility that you had depression initially and you started taking Cipralex. After taking treatment, the hidden bipolar disorder got unmasked by using Cipral...  Read Full »

Why am I moved to laugh though I intend to cry?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having an issue that is extremely difficult and bothering me, but my psychiatrist said he has never heard of it, and it is worrying me. I have been diagnosed with BPD, bipolar and OCD. I am 36 years old. I had kidney cancer last year and had surgery. I have been on Seroquel 50 ...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and would explain that your symptoms could be related to bipolar disorder. You should know that bipolar disease can lead to episodes of depression and also mania (uncontrolled euphoria or laughter). An obsession could also mimic this situat...  Read Full »

How to deal with my extreme mood swings and stressed feel about my life?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 18 years old. I am under great stress about many areas of life like family, career, and personal satisfaction. I think I am not worthy enough and I do not like the way I look. I think I am ugly and at times I hate myself for who I am. I feel unworthy and do not deserve for what I...  Read Full »

Dr. Parth Nagda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. What are your symptoms exactly? If they are of depression, then the treatment with an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) is ideally given for six months or so. Basically, if you are depressed, you will feel irritable, low, feel like crying, sad, do not wi...  Read Full »

Can random suicidal thoughts be due to bipolar depressive disorder?

Query: Hi doctor, I have done some research and I am pretty sure I have depressive bipolar disorder. I have struggled with something I thought was depression for a long time but it was always more like episodes of suicidal thoughts and me being in a deep depression. Like if I do have it the other night I...  Read Full »

Dr. Parth Nagda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. What are your symptoms exactly? If they are of depression, then the treatment with an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) is ideally given for six months or so. Basically, if you are depressed, you will feel irritable, low, feel like crying, sad, do not w...  Read Full »

My 25-year-old daughter is having hallucination and under treatment for depression. How to get it treated?

Query: Hello doctor, My adult child, 25 years old, was admitted to a psychiatric hospital for depression and suicidal thoughts. She had therapy for several years. However, when visiting tonight, she mentioned voices and hallucinations. I was taken back bc she never mentioned that before. The nurse said it...  Read Full »

Dr. Venkat Heijebu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can certainly understand your concern. I have worked through your attached query in detail. Hallucinations like hearing voices can be a feature of severe depression. They can occur if depression progresses through higher grades. It does not imply that you have missed...  Read Full »

I feel depressed and do not have a proper sleep. Is this bipolar?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a student. For some months, I have noticed that my mind is playing tricks on me. It is more like every day I have a down phase which lasts for two to four hours when I feel all negative emotions are coming to my mind. I think of anxiety and fear. I feel like I have a beast inside...  Read Full »

Dr. Venkat Heijebu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can certainly understand your condition. I have worked through your attached query in detail. As per your symptoms, you possibly seem to have subsyndromal depression otherwise called as dysthymia. If it is not treated on time, it may convert into depression. (Pleas...  Read Full »