Brown Rice

Is brown rice good for a diabetic patient?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 38 year old male. My height is 6 feet height and weight is 90 kg. I have been a hypertensive for the past ten years. My fasting sugar generally comes in the range of 100 to 130; PP 140 to 170 and A1c level is 6.6. Should I start medicine for this? For hypertension I am taking Losar...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your levels are indicating that you are diabetic. But, the values are not that high enough to start on medications. I recommend you to start diabetic diet and exercise regularly. Also, repeat your fasting blood sugar (FBS), postprandial blood sugar (PPBS), and HbA1...  Read Full »

Can a diabetic taking Metformin and Glimepiride consume brown rice?

Query: Hello doctor, My sugar level is 190. Metformin 500 with Glimepiride 2 is my daily medicine. I take half twice daily. Can I eat brown rice regularly?  Read Full »

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetologist, Family Physician, Microbiologist, Nutritionist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. You can safely eat brown rice or whatever kind of rice or grains that your ancestors have been eating. However, it is important to control the sizes of your food portions. I recommend that you use a measuring cup of whatever size you want....  Read Full »