Q. Can Budd-Chiari syndrome cause weakness and leg cramps?

Dr. Subharanjini Ramesh
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 18, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 28, 2021

I have weakness and swelling at the navel point. I also had a history of a liver issue called burd cherry syndrome. I have performed sonography and bilirubin tests, and currently, I am under Ayurvedic medications.

#

Is your liver problem is under control or not? The weakness is due to your liver problem. Is there any abdominal pain or any other symptoms present? Leg cramps are also due to the underlying problem, and you can take a vitamin D supplement after consulting your gastroenterologist. Sit in the sunlight for 1/2 hour in the morning ( 8 to 10 am). Salt restriction is needed according to your condition, and the total intake should be around 4-5 gms/day. This means you should cook with little less salt in your food and absolutely no extra salt on the table. Avoid pickles, chutneys, ready-made foods, processed foods, bakery products, sodas, etc. Be very strict with your diet. Include milk and curd around 300 ml/ day. You can add any protein supplements with milk in the evenings. Restrict your fat intake and avoid all kinds of fatty foods and cook with less oil. Total intake should be around 20 gms or 4 teaspoons/ day. All vegetables and fruits are allowed and wash properly to use it. Better to eat cooked food. Avoid raw vegetables for the time being. Rice or chapattis are both allowed. Eat healthy, nutritious foods properly. It will improve your overall health. All kinds of dals are allowed. This is general advice on diet for you. Your query is not clear. Now how do you feel? So that I can accordingly I can give your diet advice. Please do get back with all the details.

Follow up with all the details

|