Q. I get cramps in my right calf muscles after walking half a mile. Why?

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy
Published on Oct 31, 2019

I am a former marathon runner for about 40 years. With age and bad knees, I am restricted to walk now, but I try to walk at least four days a week for 15 minutes. Recently, when I walk for about half a mile, I am getting cramps in my right calf muscles. I am fine on the exercise bike even for an hour, but I prefer to walk outside. Please help.

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I can understand your concern. I am really proud to talk to a marathon runner.

I understand that walking or running is one of the most important part of your life, but with age out joints get weaker, there is a deposition of fluid in between joint spaces, cartilage which gets inflamed leading to arthritis.

Normally we associate cramping with dehydration. Make sure you are drinking adequate water both pre and post-workout. However, I will advise you to just rest for a few days. Too much exercise leads to the accumulation of lactic acid in our muscles and it causes severe cramping. This commonly affects sports persons and runners like you.

Do mild cramps, bleeding and lower back pain indicate miscarriage?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old and according to LMP, I am 9 weeks and 6 days pregnant now. I had three previous miscarriages (two chemical pregnancies and one at 5-6 weeks). This pregnancy has been really well until a few days ago. Last week I had an ultrasound and the heart rate was 173. That night,...  Read Full >>

Dr. Dattaprasad Inamdar Balasaheb Inamdar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms you are experiencing come under category of threatened abortion. The clinical diagnosis of threatened abortion is presumed when a bloody vaginal discharge or bleeding appears through a closed cervical os during the first half of pregnancy. Risk of threatened ...  Read Full

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Article Overview: Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disorder that causes chronic inflammation and pain in the joints throughout the body Read Article

Dr. K Sneha
Rheumatologist

What Is Rheumatoid Arthritis? Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disorder that causes chronic inflammation and pain in the joints throughout the body. It is a long-term and disabling disease. This disease usually affects the joints of the hands and feet first, and if one side of the joint ...  Read Article

How common is seizure in elderly people?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 86 year old healthy male. I had sudden seizures. What is the reason behind it? I have attached my MRI brain with this. Please explain.  Read Full >>

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) in detail. Please find my observations below. There are mild age-related changes like prominent markings on the surface of the brain, prominent ventricles which are fluid spaces...  Read Full

Ask a General Practitioner Now