Cellular Toxicity

Is there any increased consumption of water in chronic mercury poisoning?

Query: Hi doctor, In the case of chronic mercury poisoning, is there an increased consumption of water? The same question, for chronic fluoride poisoning. Please guide.  Read Full »

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist, Naturopathy Specialist, Pharmacologist, Siddha Medicine Specialist, Toxicologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. In chronic mercury poisoning, it binds and stops the functions of SH (sulfhydryl-containing enzymes). It also gets deposited and causes cellular toxicity. If the toxic pathology happens in the gastrointestinal tract (GIT), then the patient feels burning inflammatory se...  Read Full »

Is alcohol bad for hypothyroidism?

Query: Hi doctor, I noticed that, after drinking alcohol, I feel exhausted and weak, after a week. I also have pain behind my eyes and a constant headache. I am curious if it is related to the thyroid or something else. Does alcohol affect patients with hypothyroidism?  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query. Yes, alcohol does affect people who have hypothyroidism. It affects the hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid axis and causes suppression of the thyroid gland in a normal individual. But in those who already have a hypo-functioning thyroid gland, th...  Read Full »

What kind of mitochondrial poisoning can stay in body for longer period?

Query: Hello doctor, Do you know what kind of mitochondrial poison can stay in the body for more than five years? I have a patient with symptoms which looks like a mild mitochondrial poisoning for the past five years. There are only few mitochondrial poisons. So, do you think any one of them can stay in t...  Read Full »

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Usually the mitochondrial toxicity (poisoning) occurs due to some natural toxins from animals and plants or synthetic. In current days, the mitochondrial toxicity is majorly due to synthetic chemicals as human destroyed many toxic plants and animals in the living place. ...  Read Full »