Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease

Why am I feeling breathless and fatigue even after a month of COVID-19 infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I am recovering from COVID-19, and I am on day 26 since the symptoms started. After day 11, I spent two nights in the hospital where I had some oxygen, and a chest x-ray showed viral pneumonia or typical COVID-19 changes. I was discharged after oxygen levels stabilized. After a funny tur...  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Pulmonologist, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from breathlessness and squeaky noise on inspiration after recovering from COVID-19. This noisy sound may be wheezing, which is high pitched whistling sound during ...  Read Full »

Is Pranayama advisable for a 90-year-old?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 90 years old. He has congestive heart failure and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. He is generally in good spirits and is well taken care of. He uses oxygen and his doctors have told him that when his oxygen count goes down, to breathe in and exhale through mouth. Sinc...  Read Full »

Dr. Vinod Kumar

Yoga Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for posing this question. Please find my suggestions below. At age 90, it becomes very important to keep the things simple for the patient. Your effort to teach pranayama is appreciable. I would advise you not to go for any difficult pranayama which is tedious ...  Read Full »

How is COPD treated?

Query: Hi doctor, My father has SpO2 level with oxygen is more than 95 and without oxygen is 75-80. He also has COPD. But, all tests are normal like CT scan, USG and x-ray. Please explain.  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.  As you said your father has COPD, low oxygen levels are expected when the disease is advanced. COPD is a chronic progressive disease. Inhaler medicines are only for the symptomatic relief. Smoking cessation is the best policy to halt the progression of the disease. P...  Read Full »

My diabetic mother is diagnosed with moderate obstructive lung disease. Kindly suggest treatment.

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is 62 years old. She is a diabetic on OHA and under good glycemic control. She weighs about 56 kg. She is suffering from a dry cough for four months now. The chest x-ray is normal and ENT consultation also ruled out any local cause. She complaints of tickling sensation and c...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the PFT (pulmonary function test) report of your mother. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Let me tell you first that the PFT test is not done properly as post-test is done immediately only after four minutes of the pre-test. Ideally, we...  Read Full »

What causes flattening of the diaphragm?

Query: Hi doctor, My husband is 52 years old. He has never smoked and is currently training for a half marathon. He is very fit. For a couple of years, he is suffering from mild asthma and using Ventolin inhaler. For the past few months, he is suffering from chronic cough and that sounds like an asthmatic ...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, your husband's x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity) shows stable hyperinflation. It means his lungs are over distended (mildly) with air. This is the result of his asthma. More than asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a bett...  Read Full »

How to get relief from cough present with wheezing?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 78 years old now. Before 12 days back, she had a cough and high fever. She had a wheezing problem along with a cough. She was given Azithromycin and Cratex expectorant. Her temperature got subsided after five days. But the coughing problem has not stopped. Her X-Ray finding ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. She has a chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Her lymphocytes are elevated. She seems to have viral bronchitis. Her total WBC count is decreased. It can occur due to bone marrow suppression by a viral infection. For wheezing, she can take Ipratropium bromide inhalati...  Read Full »

If I quit smoking, will my RBC, hemoglobin, and PCV levels come back to normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from hypertension since few years, and I am currently on medication Telmisartan. I am an alcoholic and smoker, and I smoke approximately 15 cigarettes a day for the last five years. My current CBC report suggests high RBC, hemoglobin, and PCV. Though it reduced slightly...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The diagnosis is polycythemia. Polycythemia can be secondary or primary. Secondary polycythemia occurs because of hypoxia, which activates the oxygen sensor and more erythropoiet...  Read Full »

My mother in law is suffering from cough and breathlessness.What does her CT scan report say?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother in law is 75 years old and she is diabetic. She had been treated for ulcer one year back. She is suffering from cough and breathlessness for more than two weeks. Doctor advised for a CT scan. Please see the attached report and guide us further. What does the report say? How...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read the history and CT scan report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your mother in law is a known diabetic. Now, she is suffering from cough and breathlessness since last 2-3 weeks. This can be due to COPD which is chronic obstructive pulmonary...  Read Full »

My mother's oxygen level is 70 % even after treatment. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is 63 years old. She is having severe cough from more than a year, and last year, she was admitted to the hospital. The doctors gave O2 therapy and BiPAP for four months, and she was fine for few months. Again, the severe cough along with sputum started. Recently, the doct...  Read Full »

Dr. Shitla Prasad Upadhyay

Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen all her reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Her diagnosis is COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) with cor pulmonale and PAH (pulmonary arterial hypertension). If her SpO2 is 70 % by a pulse oximeter, then she should be admitt...  Read Full »

I got a PFT done. Kindly check and guide me if the values are fine.

Query: Hi doctor, I have a signal arthritis. Rib cage hurts when I breathe. I had a clear COPD four years back and normal PFT. I stopped smoking ten years ago. I am a swimmer and have breathing problem. I also have suspected connective tissue disease. I am currently taking Humira, Methotrexate and daily I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, your pulmonary function test (PFT) values are totally fine. Any value above 80% of predicted value is considered as normal. So, your values are too good. For further information consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmon...  Read Full »