Q. Kindly suggest me a better and effective medicine for cold.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

I am suffering from cold from the past two to three days. It includes sneezing, running nose, etc. The basic Cetirizine tablets never work for me. By the way, I do not have any chronic cold issues till now. It just pops up once in a while (once in three or four months) and I depend on Cheston Cold or Allercet cold tablets for two to three days and the issue gets resolved but my situation is different for me now. Even these tablets are not helping me now. Previously, I used to take Avil 50 once whenever I had cold and it used to work like a miracle. So, I thought it would be wise to take an ENT specialist's advice in this case rather than depending on general physician. I do not have fever. So I request you to let me know if you could suggest me a better and much much more effective medicine which I can use anytime whenever I get cold.

I am currently taking Allercet cold (thrice a day for cold), Azithral 500 (once in a day, for two days for minor throat infection), Bepozic (antihistamine) ( once in a day for acute urticaria on my body which is almost recovering).

#

I would like to know few details regarding your symptoms.

1. Do you have phlegm, which trickles down from your nasal cavity to throat or do you have a headache? This is to rule out sinusitis. Patients who suffer from sinusitis have recurrent episode of cold and stuffiness and secondary throat infection.
  2. Did you get any tests for allergy like serum IgE, etc., done? If not you should get serum IgE done and if that is raised then you should get skin prick test done which will test your sensitivity to various allergen present in air and food items.If you are allergic to any particular allergen then you need to take precautions.

One more thing, you should never take Azithral (Azithromycin) for two days. You should take it for at least three days (for minor as well as severe infection). Taking antibiotics for lesser days will make you resistant to it. You can continue Allercet (Cetirizine) cold as of now, and watch. Simultaneously you start taking steroid and Azelastine nasal spray that is Duonase nasal spray (one puff each nostril twice daily for three weeks and then one puff each nostril once daily at night for another three weeks). Consult with your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take medications with their consent.

I strongly feel that you have allergic rhinosinusitis based on your history. Please give a detailed history and also investigations are needed to come to the final diagnosis. Taking random medications will not help.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|