Q. Is it harmful to take constipation medicines for a long time?

Dr. Alka
Published on Jul 20, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am taking Anuloma DS from the last six months with tablet Pylapy. I take it every day. Even if I miss it once, I do not get motion. Is it harmful to take it for a long time? Another problem I am facing is an irregular time of motions. It may be any time before noon. So, I cannot go out when I take Anuloma. In some occasions, I could not reach a toilet on time.

Dr. Alka

#

I read your query.

• As your basic problem is constipation, the regular intake of any medicine will make your intestine dependent on it. Currently, your bowel is dependent on the medicines. So, try to take this tablet every alternate day and then try to stop it slowly. Later, you can shift to a mild laxative. It is better to take a diet which will help in easing your motions.
  • Follow the below-mentioned guidelines:
  1. Drink plenty of water daily.
  2. Take whole grain cereals in your diet.
  3. Try to get one glass of lukewarm water regularly after getting up in the morning. It will help in easing your bowel movement.
  4. Include fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet.
  5. Do walk daily at least for 30 to 60 minutes every day.

I hope you find my answer helpful. For more queries, you can follow up with me.

For more information consult an ayurveda specialist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ayurveda-specialist

Why do I get the feeling of emptying my bowel whenever I go out?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 25 years old. My weight is 63 kg. I have masturbation habit for 6 years. My stomach gets bloated and there is gas formation. I also have tiredness and diarrhea. I have to apply pressure for passing urine and stools. I get the feeling of emptying my bowel whenever I got to go out ...  Read Full »

4 Ways in Which Kids Can Stay Healthy This Rainy Season

Article Overview: Rains do bring happiness and joy amongst all of us, especially among children who love to make paper boats and sail them in the water. The respite from the scorching heat brings relief to everyone. But, along with all the joy, rains also bring some health issues such as food poisoning, diarrhea, cold, cough, fever, allergies and various infections caused by various bacteria and viruses. Hence, it becomes necessary to improve the kid’s immunity and protect them from infections, especially cold, fever and diarrhea. Read Article

Dr. Krystel Quadros
Wellness Medicine Specialist

Following are four ways in which kids can stay healthy this monsoon. Encourage Your Child to Drink Boiled Water It is very important for kids to consume boiled water or filtered water. If the child drinks unfiltered water, the kid is very likely to get water-borne diseases like cholera, diarrhea,and...  Read Article

My wife could notice blood in her stools.Could you please advise us with proper guidance?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife (age 33 years) has been suffering from piles related issues since last 10 years. It occurred after her delivery (in 2003) and was harmless at that time. We are having an eleven year old daughter. Recently she started experiencing pain and itching while going to toilet. Also sh...  Read Full »

Ask an Ayurveda Specialist Now