Q. Is it all right for a newborn of 4 days to be given a normal bath?

Dr. Arun Kiran Malhotra
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 16, 2014 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

Is it all right for a newborn baby of 4 days to be given a normal bath? I read that only sponge bath should be given to the baby till the umbilical cord comes off and is completely healed.

#

In this cold winter, it would be preferable to give a sponge bath with lukewarm water, cleaning all areas of the body. One has to be careful that the baby is not exposed to cold. Keep the baby warm. Breastfeed the baby as it gives the mother's warmth also.

|