Dementia

I had a few milder head injuries during my teen. Am I at the risk of developing dementia?

Query: Hello doctor, I have recently come across an article stating traumatic brain injuries lead to an elevated probability of developing dementia. I found this information quite concerning as I faced multiple milder head injuries as a child, teenager, and now I wonder about the chances of developing suc...  Read Full »

Dr. Gursimran

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to know regarding the symptoms. The entity is called dementia pugilistica or punch drunk syndrome. This occurs when there is repetitive trauma, which is on an everyday basis, like boxers get. The two concussions, which occurred occasionally, are not a risk fact...  Read Full »

Is thinking and asking about a person or situation repeatedly a sign of dementia?

Query: Hello Doc. I would like to consult my mother-in-law's health condition. She had a stroke a few months back. Thank God after a week, she had been discharged from the hospital with continued medication to stabilize her bp and some antibiotics to cure her UTI. She can talk few words, sometimes clear so...  Read Full »

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello dear she may be suffering from dementia with perservation. Repetitive words, comments, questions and actions is called perservation. This is may be due to right hemisphere stroke or traumatic brain injury etc. So you have to divert her while talking and ask her few other questions and emoti...  Read Full »

Please suggest a medicine to control aggression in bipolar disorder.

Query: Hi doctor, My mother has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and no medicine help with her aggression. She is currently on Zolam and Clonafit. I have also attached her other prescription reports for your reference. My mother beats and abuses our maid. She defecates in the room whenever she wants to...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understood your concerns. First of all I feel that she is developing dementia as defecating in the room is not a characteristic of bipolar disorder. I understand she do it for punishing other family members and especially maid, but this is not so...  Read Full »

How to help a patient who is suffering from a mental disorder for 24 years?

Query: Respected sir/madam, My mother has been suffering from mental disorder since 24 years (from my birth) . My dad took her to the hospital and undergone treatment also but no use , after up to 2 years prescribed medicine also used . It had been 20 year of not using any medicine and treatment . Sinc...  Read Full »

Dr. Ruhi Satija

Answer: Hello , I am sorry to hear about your situation. I can imagine how hard it must be for you. In your query you have not mentioned the diagnosis so I can't suggest exactly what needs to be done but I will explain how it works .. The fact that you mentioned that she doesn't remember anyone could be a p...  Read Full »

What causes an increase in hallucinations in older adults?

Query: Hi. My grandmother is 80years of age. Over the past year, her hillucinations have increased with time, from what was occasionally to now daily. I've had her to the doc for blood tests, she's perfectly healthy in all bodily aspects. Treated for mild kidney infection on two occasions recently. Hilluci...  Read Full »

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello Dear dementia with hallucinations may be common in old age people. Intermittent episodes of delirium may increase the future risk of dementia. Most commonly infections ( urinary, respiratory), electrolyte imbalance, hormonal imbalance, drugs or recent surgery cause delirium. Dementia may ...  Read Full »

On stopping the intake of Prevacid, will the risk for dementia vanish?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 49-year-old male. I took Prevacid for 17 years. One or two pills a day. I stopped five months ago after I read about that it increases the risk of dementia. If I do not have dementia now, and I have stopped the medication do my risks of dementia remain elevated for the rest of ...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. After careful review, I understand you are worried about the side effects of Lansoprazole (Prevacid). Now as you have stopped taking it, the risk of side effects do not remain the same as with taking the drug. The reversibility of effects is based on the extent and t...  Read Full »

I want to start amateur fighting and sparring with headgear. How likely is long term brain damage?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21-year-old male. I want to start amateur fighting, sparring, with headgear how likely is long term damage? Is it more with continuous high impact to the head, or one serious blow could ruin it? I am a physicist and value my reasoning a lot, I just wonder how dangerous is it.  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and would explain that headgear or amateur fighting can lead to chronic damage to the brain (related to the repeated trauma). This can lead to small strokes and an increased risk of dementia in the future. It can also lead to increased risk ...  Read Full »

Can long term use of Lamotrigine cause dementia?

Query: Hello doctor, I took Lamotrigine for six years at around 300 to 600 mg I think. I have been off it and unmedicated for depression and anxiety for the last 5 to 6 years roughly besides some Xanax that I used three years ago. I am a 25-year-old male and have been having small memory lapses lately but ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vandana Patidar

Psychiatrist, Psychotherapist, Psychologist Counsellor, Sleep Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you mentioned that you are suffering from depression and was always undermedicated, in depression, it is common to have a disturbance of memory and attention which lead to forgetfulness. These memory issues are most probably due to depression itself and not due to La...  Read Full »

An old patient hears some voice continuously which others cannot hear. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My father aged 83 years is physically healthy but he is hearing some of the old friends sound continuously which we cannot hear, for 10 days. So, kindly give us some advice as soon as possible.  Read Full »

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist, Sleep Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This symptom of hearing things when there is no sound is known as an auditory hallucination. At his age, there could be a number of causes of the same as: 1. A stroke which has affected the blood supply of the part of the brain responsible for hearing. This is likel...  Read Full »

Kindly tell me the symptoms of frontotemporal dementia.

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has recently received a diagnosis of frontotemporal dementia. Here is a history of her: She had what we believed to be a nervous breakdown four years back. This was after a year of stress from a pending court case. After this breakdown, she displayed some psychotic symptoms....  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read carefully your question and would explain that fronto-temporal diagnosis is a very challenging diagnosis, which is determined by the neuro-psychological tests and the progression of the disease. Sometimes, the radiological findings are not typical of this disorde...  Read Full »