Q. Is 'eating just bananas for breakfast' a good way to lose weight?

Hello docotor,

I eat only two bananas for breakfast. Is it recommended to do so or does it cause stomach pain, gastritis, gas and bloating?

Dr. Durga Kumari
M.SC IN DIETETICS AND FOOD SERVICE MANAGEMENT
Dietician, Nutritionist

• Eating bananas for breakfast is good. But having only bananas for breakfast is not complete and appropriate.
  • The word breakfast means that you are breaking your overnight fast. So, it is should be made up of carbohydrates, protein, vitamins, minerals, and a fiber-rich diet.
  • This is a very important meal of the day. It gives you energy for the whole day to remain fit and energetic. So, please try to have a complete breakfast that includes cereals, milk, eggs, vegetables, and fruits.
  • Some breakfast ideas you can try are:
  1. Idli, with coconut chutney.
  2. Dosa with sambhar.
  3. Vegetable upma.
  4. Brown bread toast with an omelette.
  5. Palak chapati with curry.

If you need more help, feel free to consult me.

For more information consult a dietician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dietician

Thank you very much. I am a vegetarian. I am dieting for weight loss. Hence, I want to know what foods I should consume in the morning.

Dr. Durga Kumari
Dietician, Nutritionist

Welcome back to cliniq.com.

• Please mention your one-day meal pattern, so I can explain accordingly.

Revert with more information to a dietician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dietician

After waking up, I have a cup of cinnamon tea on an empty stomach. For breakfast, I have two bananas and one cup of peppermint tea with sugar. For lunch, I have rice with vegetables and one cup of peppermint tea with sugar. For an evening snack, I have a cup of peppermint tea without sugar. For dinner, I again take two bananas. Before bed, I take a cup of green tea. Is this diet adequate for weight loss?

Dr. Durga Kumari
Dietician, Nutritionist

• This diet scenario is not ideal for a healthy weight loss. I think you are on a crash diet. You cannot maintain your weight in the long run if you lose it this way. This diet lacks some nutrients, and that can lead to deficiencies and illnesses. So do not follow this type of a diet.
  • Try this simple and steady method I am going to explain:
  1. Switch over to a normal diet as you were taking previously.
  2. Count the total calorie intake.
  3. Subtract 500 calories from the total.
  4. Distribute the calories into the three main meals and then consume accordingly.
  • Some important tips:
  1. Remember to consume only local and easily available food.
  2. Do not use fried, canned, and fast foods.
  3. Hydrate yourself with seven to eight glasses of water daily.
  4. Use the stairs instead of taking the lift.
  5. Always prefer homemade food.
  6. Drink two to three glasses of luke warm water on an empty stomach.
  7. Do exercises or yoga for at least one hour every day.

For further queries consult a dietician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dietician

I have sudden and severe hair loss. Please help me.
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old female. I am suffering from severe hair loss. Almost three-quarters of my hair I lost in 15 days. I have severe itchiness on the scalp with a sensation of something crawling on my scalp and body. But, my mother says nothing can be found on the head, except some...  Read Full »
Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your case. A sudden hair loss may be due to many causes like severe dieting, mental or physical stress, pregnancy or any illness. Please evaluate yourself if you have suffered from any of the above recently. You need to understand that hair regrowth...  Read Full »

How to reduce weight through yoga?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old obese boy. My weight is 110 kg and I feel myself unfit. I want to start practicing yoga for weight loss. But, I do not know anything about yoga. I want to know, how to meditate and relax our body and mind?  Read Full »
Dr. Omnath Alvoor
Naturopathy Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per the data your weight is too high for an individual. You need to rebuild your lifestyle by giving time to exercise and yogic techniques. Especially fast rounds of suryanamaskara will help you with your problems. Start slowly and day by day increase the speed of prac...  Read Full »

I have weight loss due to digestion issues. How to gain the weight back?
Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from digestion issues, mostly bloating, from more than seven months. While taking medicines, I was feeling fine, and once I stopped them, my symptoms recurred. My present symptoms include indigestion, constipation, improper motions, low appetite, weight loss, inabilit...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to be suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). As far as your questions are concerned, the following are my answers. Just go on an empty stomach so that if required, they can do an endoscopy. All the tests can be performed on an empty stomach. I personal...  Read Full »

I have weight loss, increased hunger, thirst and frequent urination. What can it be?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19 year old female. My height is 5 feet and 6 inches, and my weight is 160. For the past month, I have been experiencing weight loss, increased hunger, increased thirst, and frequently need to go to the bathroom to pee out large amounts. My skin has become dry. I have also lost...  Read Full »
Dr. Pratik Patil
General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello doctor, Welcome to icliniq.com. All of these symptoms, along with weight loss and dry skin point to diabetes. Polyphagia refers to excessive hunger or increased appetite. Polydipsia refers to increased thirst. Polyuria refers to increased urination. .I suggest you screen yourself for blood sug...  Read Full »

I have 'cold water droplets' sensation all over my body. What could be the cause?
Query: Hello doctor, I have been getting a cold drop of water sensation all over my body. It is more noticeable on the legs. I often go to clean the water, but there is nothing there. It only gets triggered when clothes touch it. I also have muscle twitching all over the body and a muscle tension on my ...  Read Full »
Dr. Pritam Mohapatra
Naturopathy Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I appreciate you seeking help. Well, it is apparently a neurological problem that is most likely stemming out of an improper diet and lifestyle issues. I would recommend the following: Eat a healthy, balanced and anti-inflammatory diet, preferably Mediterranean cuisine...  Read Full »

How can weight be reduced in a thyroid patient?
Query: Hello doctor,I have a thyroid problem. How can I reduce my weight?  Read Full »
Dr. Shakti Mishra
Nutritionist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The best way to reduce weight is vigorous exercise. Go for morning or evening walk (30) minutes. If possible go in the morning and evening also. Do jogging, skipping, swimming if possible as it is a wholesome exercise. You can also do aerobics with music (45 minutes), i...  Read Full »

Placenta Previa and Low-Lying Placenta
What Are the Alternatives to Wearing Glasses?
Smart Ways to Lose Weight