Q. Is 'eating just bananas for breakfast' a good way to lose weight?

Hello docotor,

I eat only two bananas for breakfast. Is it recommended to do so or does it cause stomach pain, gastritis, gas and bloating?

Dr. Durga Kumari
M.SC IN DIETETICS AND FOOD SERVICE MANAGEMENT
Dietician, Nutritionist

• Eating bananas for breakfast is good. But having only bananas for breakfast is not complete and appropriate.
  • The word breakfast means that you are breaking your overnight fast. So, it is should be made up of carbohydrates, protein, vitamins, minerals, and a fiber-rich diet.
  • This is a very important meal of the day. It gives you energy for the whole day to remain fit and energetic. So, please try to have a complete breakfast that includes cereals, milk, eggs, vegetables, and fruits.
  • Some breakfast ideas you can try are:
  1. Idli, with coconut chutney.
  2. Dosa with sambhar.
  3. Vegetable upma.
  4. Brown bread toast with an omelette.
  5. Palak chapati with curry.

If you need more help, feel free to consult me.

For more information consult a dietician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dietician

Thank you very much. I am a vegetarian. I am dieting for weight loss. Hence, I want to know what foods I should consume in the morning.

Dr. Durga Kumari
Dietician, Nutritionist

Welcome back to cliniq.com.

• Please mention your one-day meal pattern, so I can explain accordingly.

Revert with more information to a dietician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dietician

After waking up, I have a cup of cinnamon tea on an empty stomach. For breakfast, I have two bananas and one cup of peppermint tea with sugar. For lunch, I have rice with vegetables and one cup of peppermint tea with sugar. For an evening snack, I have a cup of peppermint tea without sugar. For dinner, I again take two bananas. Before bed, I take a cup of green tea. Is this diet adequate for weight loss?

Dr. Durga Kumari
Dietician, Nutritionist

• This diet scenario is not ideal for a healthy weight loss. I think you are on a crash diet. You cannot maintain your weight in the long run if you lose it this way. This diet lacks some nutrients, and that can lead to deficiencies and illnesses. So do not follow this type of a diet.
  • Try this simple and steady method I am going to explain:
  1. Switch over to a normal diet as you were taking previously.
  2. Count the total calorie intake.
  3. Subtract 500 calories from the total.
  4. Distribute the calories into the three main meals and then consume accordingly.
  • Some important tips:
  1. Remember to consume only local and easily available food.
  2. Do not use fried, canned, and fast foods.
  3. Hydrate yourself with seven to eight glasses of water daily.
  4. Use the stairs instead of taking the lift.
  5. Always prefer homemade food.
  6. Drink two to three glasses of luke warm water on an empty stomach.
  7. Do exercises or yoga for at least one hour every day.

For further queries consult a dietician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dietician

Also Read Answers From

Ask a Dietician »