Q. Is 'eating just bananas for breakfast' a good way to lose weight?

Dr. Durga Kumari
Published on Aug 13, 2017

Hello docotor,

I eat only two bananas for breakfast. Is it recommended to do so or does it cause stomach pain, gastritis, gas and bloating?

Dr. Durga Kumari

Dietician Nutritionist
#

• Eating bananas for breakfast is good. But having only bananas for breakfast is not complete and appropriate.
  • The word breakfast means that you are breaking your overnight fast. So, it is should be made up of carbohydrates, protein, vitamins, minerals, and a fiber-rich diet.
  • This is a very important meal of the day. It gives you energy for the whole day to remain fit and energetic. So, please try to have a complete breakfast that includes cereals, milk, eggs, vegetables, and fruits.
  • Some breakfast ideas you can try are:
  1. Idli, with coconut chutney.
  2. Dosa with sambhar.
  3. Vegetable upma.
  4. Brown bread toast with an omelette.
  5. Palak chapati with curry.

If you need more help, feel free to consult me.

For more information consult a dietician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dietician

Thank you very much. I am a vegetarian. I am dieting for weight loss. Hence, I want to know what foods I should consume in the morning.

Dr. Durga Kumari

Dietician Nutritionist
#

Welcome back to cliniq.com.

• Please mention your one-day meal pattern, so I can explain accordingly.

Revert with more information to a dietician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dietician

After waking up, I have a cup of cinnamon tea on an empty stomach. For breakfast, I have two bananas and one cup of peppermint tea with sugar. For lunch, I have rice with vegetables and one cup of peppermint tea with sugar. For an evening snack, I have a cup of peppermint tea without sugar. For dinner, I again take two bananas. Before bed, I take a cup of green tea. Is this diet adequate for weight loss?

Dr. Durga Kumari

Dietician Nutritionist
#

• This diet scenario is not ideal for a healthy weight loss. I think you are on a crash diet. You cannot maintain your weight in the long run if you lose it this way. This diet lacks some nutrients, and that can lead to deficiencies and illnesses. So do not follow this type of a diet.
  • Try this simple and steady method I am going to explain:
  1. Switch over to a normal diet as you were taking previously.
  2. Count the total calorie intake.
  3. Subtract 500 calories from the total.
  4. Distribute the calories into the three main meals and then consume accordingly.
  • Some important tips:
  1. Remember to consume only local and easily available food.
  2. Do not use fried, canned, and fast foods.
  3. Hydrate yourself with seven to eight glasses of water daily.
  4. Use the stairs instead of taking the lift.
  5. Always prefer homemade food.
  6. Drink two to three glasses of luke warm water on an empty stomach.
  7. Do exercises or yoga for at least one hour every day.

For further queries consult a dietician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dietician

Why am I not able to lose weight even after dieting?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 35 years old and I started dieting early last year. But it seems like my weight plateaued. I have been eating a low carb diet during weekdays and on Sundays, I eat the carbs that I want to eat. I work out 3 to 4 times a week. I sometimes sleep late. I have been on this schedule f...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shakti Mishra
Nutritionist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, eating only low carbohydrate will not help. Follow a protein-rich, low carbohydrate, a fiber-rich diet that will fulfill the purpose. Have three small meals per day with lots of water. You can cheat sometimes with healthy junks. Exercise regularly with walk in ...  Read Full

I have weight loss, increased hunger, thirst and frequent urination. What can it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19 year old female. My height is 5 feet and 6 inches, and my weight is 160. For the past month, I have been experiencing weight loss, increased hunger, increased thirst, and frequently need to go to the bathroom to pee out large amounts. My skin has become dry. I have also lost...  Read Full >>

Dr. Pratik Patil
General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello doctor, Welcome to icliniq.com. All of these symptoms, along with weight loss and dry skin point to diabetes. Polyphagia refers to excessive hunger or increased appetite. Polydipsia refers to increased thirst. Polyuria refers to increased urination. .I suggest you screen yourself for blood sug...  Read Full

I have weight loss due to digestion issues. How to gain the weight back?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from digestion issues, mostly bloating, from more than seven months. While taking medicines, I was feeling fine, and once I stopped them, my symptoms recurred. My present symptoms include indigestion, constipation, improper motions, low appetite, weight loss, inabilit...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to be suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). As far as your questions are concerned, the following are my answers. Just go on an empty stomach so that if required, they can do an endoscopy. All the tests can be performed on an empty stomach. I personal...  Read Full

Ask a Dietician Now