Q. How can I be relieved of this sharp lower back pain?

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao

Last night, I bent over to reach for something and got a sharp pain in the left side of my lower back and the pain is still there. I can hardly move without intense pain. Is there anything that I can do to feel better? I do lift a lot of heavy boxes at work. What should I do? I can bend straight down with slight pain but if I shift to the left or right, the pain intensifies. Please help.

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao

Physiotherapy
#

The probable cause is IVDP (intervertebral disc prolapse) and iliopsoas strain.

I feel that pain could be due to irritation.

I would like to you to do a lot of icing on your back once in every two hours.

Lie on stomach with chest placed over pillows like in a cobra position for 15 minutes three to four times in a day. Do not lift weights and do not bend forward.

If you have anti-inflammatory medications and muscle relaxant tablets prescribed, have them. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines.

You may need to do core and gluteus recruitment program once you recover.

As far as possible lie on the bed.

For more information consult a physiotherapist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/physiotherapist

| 

What is the possible treatment for back pain followed by lifting heavy weight?

Query: Hi doctor, I was sitting half bent while washing the clothes. There were few buckets full of water one over the other. I got my back hurt when I tried to bring one of the buckets down. My body has tilted a bit towards left. I am unable to move and walk. It is paining a lot. Usually after work I do ...  Read Full »

Severe pain in the right shoulder which radiates to the whole arm.What could it be?

Query: Hello Doctor, Severe pain in the right shoulder which radiates to the whole arm. Tingling sensation everywhere in the whole arm. The shoulder blade hurts, underarm pit also hurts. Part of chest and cervical bulges are seen.  Read Full »

Why do my kidneys hurt when I cough?

Query: Hello doctor, Five years ago, I had a kidney stone but it was small and went through the urine. Now, the problem is, I got common cold, fever, and cough. Common cold and fever were gone after taking medicine but the cough remains. I thought it will be alright after some time but it did not get bett...  Read Full »

Ask a Physiotherapist Now