Q. I feel pain in my right kidney area while coughing. Is it normal?

Dr. Sandhya

Five years ago, I had a kidney stone but it was small and went through the urine. Now, the problem is, I got common cold, fever, and cough. Common cold and fever were gone after taking medicine but the cough remains. I thought it will be alright after some time but it did not get better and I have cough until now. It is already two weeks. Now, I feel pain in my right kidney side while coughing. Is it normal? Please advice me.

Do you have a question on Persistent Cough or Cough?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Sandhya

MBBS MD DVL
Family Physician General Practitioner

After careful analysis of the history you have provided, I would like to let you know:

Firstly, the pain that you experience in your right kidney area as mentioned, would be an outcome of the chronic cough. Chronic cough leads to muscle strains and tear.

Secondly, there is also a chance for recurrence of kidney stone.

Having said that, I would like to know:

• Do you experience pain while micturition (urination)?
  • Do you have any projections or herniations in your abdominal or lower abdominal area?

As of now, you do not need to worry as chronic cough is the most likely reason which is quite a common scenario.

For now, you need to:

1. Use warm compresses or hot water bags over the area of pain.
  2. Avoid movement of the area as far as possible.
  3. Examine yourself for any herniations.
  4. Increase your water intake to at least nine to 12 glasses per day and avoid caffeine.
  5. Take tablet Dicyclomine whenever there is pain.
  6. If there is an unbearable pain, get an abdominal USG done to rule out the presence of a recurrent stone.

Do follow up with details for the above queries. Stay healthy and positive.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

Also Read Answers From: Persistent Cough Cough Muscle Strain Muscle Tear

My cough lasted only for a week and the doctor says it is tuberculosis.Please help.
Query: Hello doctor, There is parenchymal infiltrate on the right upper lobe of my lung. My doctor said that I have a ptb3, which looks like a serious stage of tuberculosis. I was shocked because I never had a cough since September. Before the month of September, my cough lasted only for a week and then su...  Read Full »
Dr. Indu Bhushan Kumar
Radiodiagnosis Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.  Only parenchymal infiltration in the right upper lobe does not confirm tuberculosis. It needs clinical correlation and further investigations. You need an apicolordotic view of chest x-ray. It gives an excellent view of apical region of lungs. Because, in the normal che...  Read Full »

I used cocaine and now I have cough and phlegm with itchiness in throat. Why?
Query: Hi doctor,I used cocaine for six months but for four months, I have coughs and phlegm especially in the morning. I never had throat pain. It just feels itchy. I saw a doctor who gave me allergy spray with Cortizon but I took it for just one month. I keep drinking alcohol and cold drinks which makes ...  Read Full »
Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) that you have attached shows slightly enlarged tonsils with granular pharyngitis. There is nothing to worry. Your symptoms are due to chronic irritation of your throat which could be due to rhinosinusitis o...  Read Full »

What is the possible treatment for back pain followed by lifting heavy weight?
Query: Hi doctor, I was sitting half bent while washing the clothes. There were few buckets full of water one over the other. I got my back hurt when I tried to bring one of the buckets down. My body has tilted a bit towards left. I am unable to move and walk. It is paining a lot. Usually after work I do ...  Read Full »
Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.Actually, you are very young to have persistent back pain and this episode appears to be an acute exaggeration of this pain. Cause of back pain can be due to a muscle strain or a small herniation of an intervertebral disc followed by lifting heavy weight. If you have loca...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now