Q. I feel pain in my right kidney area while coughing. Is it normal?

Dr. Sandhya
Published on Aug 11, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 21, 2019

Five years ago, I had a kidney stone but it was small and went through the urine. Now, the problem is, I got common cold, fever, and cough. Common cold and fever were gone after taking medicine but the cough remains. I thought it will be alright after some time but it did not get better and I have cough until now. It is already two weeks. Now, I feel pain in my right kidney side while coughing. Is it normal? Please advice me.

Dr. Sandhya

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

After careful analysis of the history you have provided, I would like to let you know:

Firstly, the pain that you experience in your right kidney area as mentioned, would be an outcome of the chronic cough. Chronic cough leads to muscle strains and tear.

Secondly, there is also a chance for recurrence of kidney stone.

Having said that, I would like to know:

• Do you experience pain while micturition (urination)?
  • Do you have any projections or herniations in your abdominal or lower abdominal area?

As of now, you do not need to worry as chronic cough is the most likely reason which is quite a common scenario.

For now, you need to:

1. Use warm compresses or hot water bags over the area of pain.
  2. Avoid movement of the area as far as possible.
  3. Examine yourself for any herniations.
  4. Increase your water intake to at least nine to 12 glasses per day and avoid caffeine.
  5. Take tablet Dicyclomine whenever there is pain.
  6. If there is an unbearable pain, get an abdominal USG done to rule out the presence of a recurrent stone.

Do follow up with details for the above queries. Stay healthy and positive.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

My cough lasted only for a week and the doctor says it is tuberculosis.Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, There is parenchymal infiltrate on the right upper lobe of my lung. My doctor said that I have a ptb3, which looks like a serious stage of tuberculosis. I was shocked because I never had a cough since September. Before the month of September, my cough lasted only for a week and then su...  Read Full »

I used cocaine and now I have cough and phlegm with itchiness in throat. Why?

Query: Hi doctor,I used cocaine for six months but for four months, I have coughs and phlegm especially in the morning. I never had throat pain. It just feels itchy. I saw a doctor who gave me allergy spray with Cortizon but I took it for just one month. I keep drinking alcohol and cold drinks which makes ...  Read Full »

What is the possible treatment for back pain followed by lifting heavy weight?

Query: Hi doctor, I was sitting half bent while washing the clothes. There were few buckets full of water one over the other. I got my back hurt when I tried to bring one of the buckets down. My body has tilted a bit towards left. I am unable to move and walk. It is paining a lot. Usually after work I do ...  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now