Dog Bite

I get tingling sensation in the area of a dog bite. Am I at risk of rabies infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I work at a veterinary clinic. 18 days ago, a great dane bit my leg, causing some deep puncture wounds. We immediately flushed the wound even though I discovered that night that there was a wound on my leg's back, we did not notice. I went immediately to the local health department to ...  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Pulmonologist, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you were bitten by a dog 18 days back. If bitten, a previously vaccinated person should take two more doses of rabies vaccine. One dose immediately and one three days later. Again, if bitten, a nonvaccinate...  Read Full »

Is it safe to get rabies vaccine when a puppy puts his nail on burn wound?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a wound on my right foot due to crakers. A month old dog puppy had put its nails on my would, and I can see very thin blood similar to a needle point. Shall I take rabies antibody injections, or can I ignore it? Please reply.  Read Full »

Dr. Snehal Laul

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Is it oozing? Since when the wound happened? When the dog touched it, was it oozing or bleeding? Do you have pain, tenderness, swelling, or redness? Do you have blisters or fever? Attach the picture of the lesion for better understanding.  Read Full »

Is it necessary to take rabies vaccine from the initial dose if I was bitten by a dog again?

Query: Hello doctor, I took two shots of antirabies vaccine, but a street dog (puppy) bit me again one day before the third shot. What should I do? Should I continue the vaccination process or start again from the initial dose?  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you are taking the antirabies vaccination, and you have already completed two doses of the rabies vaccine. But it is a matter of sorrow that you have gotten another bite from a street dog again one day before ...  Read Full »

What is the chance of rabies infection even after getting vaccines?

Query: Hello doctor, I had exposure to a dog bite before six months while cycling. I could not see any abrasion on the leg nor blood. I could feel the teeth on my leg and immediately went to the hospital and took the rabies vaccine and tetanus as I was denied immunoglobulin. I clearly remember taking the ...  Read Full »

Dr. S D Sinha

Family Physician, Infectious Diseases Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It appears that your first vaccine post-exposure prophylaxis was inappropriate. Neither you received full course nor antirabies Ig. You were WHO category II exposure and should have taken all five doses since it appears that was your first exposure. The next two ...  Read Full »

Do I need to take the rabies vaccine if a dog's teeth or tongue touched my finger?

Query: Hello doctor, When I was feeding a wild dog, accidentally, the dog's teeth touched my fingers, maybe the tongue also touched my fingers. I returned to my home and cleaned my hands with running water, soap, and handwash. And then, I applied Suthol and Boroline. Though there is no bleeding, should I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If there is no bleeding or injury mark, then no need for a vaccine. Suppose it was a simple lick or the teeth just touched, then no need to worry. Just follow the dog for 14 days. If he does not run away, then everything will be fine. Please send a picture of your finge...  Read Full »

When is the right time to get rabies shots?

Query: Hi doctor, The community dog that lives at my doorstep got a little angry at me. I was petting like every day after his snacks, and he snapped at me. It was just a warning snap, and there is no change in the dog’s character. Teeth might have touched my withdrawing arm but no scratch, blood, o...  Read Full »

Dr. Balamurugan

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. I am answering your query. Rabies is a deadly disease, and there are no contraindications for vaccination. According to your history, exposure may fall under the category I cannot know for sure without a physical examination. The exposed area ...  Read Full »

How to treat a dog bite?

Query: Hello doctor, I got bit by a dog right by my wrist on Friday afternoon and until today it has been swollen, red, and a bit warm to the touch. Today, it is still tender to touch but not nearly as warm or swollen but is quite stiff. I work a job where I am fairly active (walking, pulling, light lifti...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Wajid

Physiotherapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have been bitten by a dog, it is important to tend to the injury right away to reduce your risk of bacterial infection. You also should assess the wound to determine the severity. In some instances, you will be able to administer first aid to yourself. In other c...  Read Full »

Is antirabies vaccine mandatory for 7-year-old kid who is bitten by a small puppy?

Query: Hello doctor, We have a 3-month-old puppy with no antirabies vaccine yet. However, my 7-year-old daughter has been bitten near the wrist and unsure of what we need to do. She is not in pain but please advise.  Read Full »

Dr. Hardika Kothari

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the clinical picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is not very clear though I cannot see any wound or bleeding. It falls under category 2 and your child needs immunization antirabies along with tetanus toxoid shot. Before that, y...  Read Full »

Do I need to take another injection of HRIG for dog bite?

Query: Hello doctor, My pet dog has bitten me in the face which left two puncture wounds. The dog has been vaccinated before but was not vaccinated for two years now. I have been given HRIG a couple of years ago after the same dog bit me. What medications will I need?  Read Full »

Dr. Zirwa Sarfraz

General Practitioner, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please wash the affected area with warm water and soap, apply antiseptic (antibiotic) ointment on it every day to avoid any infection. Apply a sterile bandage on it if you need to. As for the vaccination, you do need a booster dose of HRIG (human rabies immunoglobul...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to get rabies vaccination if a vaccinated pet dog scratches you?

Query: Hi doctor, I have scratched by my pet vaccinated dog today few hours ago. Also there was no bleeding in my hand. But there is some redness there. So guide me that it is still necessary to have ARV. Also before 5months ago i was vaccinated with arv when there is scratch of dog then .  Read Full »

Dr. Kapil Gupta

Answer: Hello. Welcome to icliniq. Although unvaccinated animals are more likely to transmit rabies, vaccinated animals can also do so if the vaccination of the biting animal was ineffective for any reason. A history of rabies vaccination in an animal is not always a guarantee that the biting animal is not...  Read Full »