Dog Bite

A dog scratched me. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, My friend's dog scratched me, and the dog has a tumor on her leg. The dog is vaccinated. Is that scratch still harmful? Do I still need to take any injections?  Read Full »

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, give attention to the following points: Is the dog drooling constantly? Is the dog involved or was involved in any way with street dogs or any other diseased pets like cats, guinea pigs, or other mammals? Were the injections given within seven years fro...  Read Full »

I was scratched by a nail of the dog. Do I need to do anything for that?

Query: Hello doctor,I was scratched by a nail of the dog a week back. Do I need to do anything for that? The dog died today, probably due to some other reason, and the dog was not vaccinated.  Read Full »

Dr. C Elanchezhian

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Are you sure the dog scratched by nail or teeth? Is any open wound or bleeding present at the time? Did the dog die due to rabies or any other cause? So many questions there. Better get ARV vaccination (anti-rabies vaccine). Since dog died, the reason not known take ...  Read Full »

Is it possible to get rabies years after dog bite?

Query: Hello doctor, A dog had bit me in my finger eight years back. At that time I did not take any vaccine or treatment. Is it possible that I can get affected with rabies in the future? What is the diagnosis system of rabies? If I get diagnosed with rabies then what I have to do?  Read Full »

Dr. Ambadi Kumar

Integrative Medicine Specialist, Internal Medicine Physician, Wellness Medicine Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. No need to get panicky over the dog bite. You are fine. Rabies testing on humans is performed on samples of saliva, serum. Saliva can be tested by virus isolation or reverse transcription followed by polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR). Serum and spinal fluid are test...  Read Full »

My puppy bit me. Do I need an anti-rabies vaccine?

Query: Hello doctor, Do I need an anti-rabies vaccine, because my 2 and a half-month-old puppy nipped me? It is barely a bite but I cleaned it and no symptoms seem to show up, my puppy is not vaccinated yet because it is too young. I am 18 years old.  Read Full »

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the bite was unprovoked and if it caused bleeding then you should get a course of anti-rabies vaccine plus a shot of tetanus immunoglobulin, to be on the safe side. Even though it is a pet, it is not immunized so the standard protocol is to get vaccinated if the abov...  Read Full »

Is it a must to report to hospital immediately after a dog bite?

Query: Hi doctor, A dog bit me hard in my leg. I had a lot of blood flowing from my wound. I cleaned the wound with disinfectant for 20 minutes. Now the blood flow has stopped. I have done preexposure prophylaxis before three months for safety. Do I have to go to the hospital immediately?  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You should go to the hospital soon and begin post-exposure prophylaxis as early as possible. It is better to have rabies immunoglobulin injection soon. You should clean the wound with soap and water. Get a dressing from the doctor with a Betadine solution (Povidone-Iodi...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to get an injection for a dog bite?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old. I was playing with my friend's dog yesterday. By mistake, the dog's teeth touched my hand, and a little drop of blood came out. Do I did need an injection?  Read Full »

Dr. Albana Greca

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If your friend has done a vaccination to the dog, then there is no problem. Keep the bitten site clean, wash with warm water and soap. Apply Oxygenated water and Betadine (Povidone Iodine) locally. You can take them over the counter, and there is no need for a prescript...  Read Full »

Is there any diet restriction following dog bite?

Query: Hi doctor, I was bitten by a house Siberian Husky. The pup is 8 months old and is not vaccinated for rabies. I used to visit it everyday. It is normal and drink water. I was given only tetanus as I am allergic to the antirabies vaccine which was administered and discovered 10 years ago when I had a ...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are no dietary restrictions following a dog bite and you can eat whatever you like to have. Also, let me share a few facts after dog bite:- A 10 days quarantine for the dog that has bitten is generally followed. If the dog during this period if devel...  Read Full »

Vaccinated dog bite my daughter. Is anti-rabies vaccine needed?

Query: Dear Doctor, My daughter is 5 years old. A vaccinated dog scratched her right hand with its teeth. There is no skin damage but deep red mark is visible. Is anti-rabies vaccine optional or compulsory for her?  Read Full »

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query on icliniq.com. Let me explain the seriousness of the deep red marks simply : Visible deep red marks could mean a very small wound but it is still a large door for rabies virus to enter. If rabies has once developed, then it has no treatment. Prevention by anti-rabie...  Read Full »

Is vaccination needed for a non-rabies dog bite?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 3 years old and has been bitten by a pet dog. The dog would not bite if not touched. It has been in our home for 10 years. It stays always at home. The dog does not have rabies. The dog is a Pomeranian breed.  The wound is not very deep but a slight cut on the upper ...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Any bite from a dog needs a vaccination for rabies. If the cut is not very deep, it will fall under grade 1 of dog bites and it will definitely need antirabies vaccination and tetanus vaccination. In grade 1 bites, antirabies immunoglobin is not needed but vaccine sh...  Read Full »

Can I take anti-rabies vaccine without a dog bite?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 38 years old. Two days back, I was playing with my neighbor's dog (small one), my middle finger got scratch or bitten. I am not sure, but there were very few drops of blood. So, should I take the anti-rabies vaccine? Is it completely safe to take it even without a dog bite? Any s...  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

General Practitioner, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The anti-rabies vaccine should be taken if there is a dog bite or dog licks the mucous membrane like nose, eyes or mouth or wounded skin or a dog scratch. Wash the wound completely under running tap water with soap for 15 minutes. Watch and observe the dog for a peri...  Read Full »