Q. I have early periods with heavy clots, cramping and back pain. Are these signs of miscarriage?

Dr. Lorena Zijaj

I have some symptoms for the past one and a half weeks that mimic the symptoms when I found I was pregnant with my daughter. I was supposed to have my period tomorrow. Last week, I started with light spotting and it happened on and off for a day maybe less. Then within two days, I started bleeding. I thought it just started early but I have been on occasional bleeding (lighter to heavier) for two days. I have had cramping, back pain, headache and today I had a lot of blood clots, and tissue coming out with it along with right groin pain for a couple of days. I have never experienced these symptoms and they are intense. I am scared this is the start of a miscarriage. But any test I have taken has been negative. I am on the patch for almost a year and have not experienced anything like this, and I have a weird feeling now.

#

First, to confirm a pregnancy, you should perform a pregnancy test two weeks after having sexual intercourse. So perform a urinary pregnancy test or b-HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) test to exclude or to confirm a pregnancy. And after that perform an ultrasound to evaluate the uterine cavity.

On the other hand, maybe your menses have come earlier and has a different pattern compared with other menstrual bleeding. As you use the patch for one year there are low chance of pregnancy always, if you have used it correctly.

|