Emboli

Can chemotherapy cause emboli formation?

Query: Hi doctor, The patient has stage 3 rectal cancer. He had brachytherapy radiation last summer. Through surgery, they removed the rectum, surrounding mesorectal fat and involved lymph nodes. Pathology declared radiation to be a complete response and no cancer found. FOLFOX chemo has begun before 14 mo...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Yes, it appears to be secondary to chemotherapy induced thrombosis. It is usually secondary to development of venous thrombi usually in deeper veins of the legs. Prolonged bed rest could be an additional factor alon...  Read Full »

Is surgery necessary for a blood clot in the brain?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is in ICU since 48 to 50 hours. Blood clot has formed in vein of the brain. His right side of the body is not functioning. Doctors are saying that he is recovering, but very slowly. Please give your opinion.  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A stroke is an abrupt deprivation of the blood flow to the brain due to a blockage or the rupture of a blood vessel in the brain. Acute ischemic stroke is caused by thrombotic or embolic occlusion of a cerebral artery and is more common than hemorrhagic stroke. In your...  Read Full »

Can pain from splinter hemorrhages spread to other fingers and increase heart rate?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 19 year old female weighing 100 lbs and 5.6 feet tall. I have had splinter hemorrhages that started in my index finger and now has spread to my thumb, but the pain in spreading to four fingers of my right hand. It becomes unbearable at times when I wake up or when I go into cold e...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is a possibility of limb ischemia that is obstruction of blood flow to your hand. As it is progressive, it is likely due to an embolus (clot) getting dislodged and landing in your hand or may be due to local clot formation. I suggest you visit your specialis...  Read Full »