Q. I am unable to gain flexibility in the body. How to gain it?

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 30, 2020 and last reviewed on: Dec 28, 2020

I am a 19-year-old girl and I am very inflexible. I feel like an 80-year-old grandmother because of this reason. I know some boys and they are more flexible than me. I feel very ashamed of myself. I want to increase my flexibility. But even beginner-level exercise are found hard for me. If I try to stretch harder, I result in getting back pains in the lumbar region. I also get back pain occasionally without doing anything special or when I try to do push ups. So I stopped doing pushups for this reason. It is so painful when I stretch my leg muscles especially when I split my legs and I cannot even split them too much. Can I have a chance to increase flexibility at this age? If yes, then how can I achieve it? Do I need to consult a doctor?

#

Do not worry about flexibility. You can gain flexibility when you go for a good training methodology. Start your training with walking and slowly progress yourself by doing high-intensity workouts. You might need a good foam roller session at the end of the workout. You can do frequent massage sessions once every fifteen days. Have good stretching routinely every day and do it twice daily. Have good nutritious food and be hydrated. You can do some basic training later after preparing your body to get normal training. Everything will help you to gain flexibility faster. Hope this is helpful for you.

| 

Did You Know Walking Is a Good Cardio Workout?

Article Overview: Brisk walking for 20 minutes a day is a good cardio workout. It pushes the heart muscles to work harder, which makes it stronger. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan
Fitness Expert

What Is Cardio Exercise? Cardio or aerobic exercise helps work your muscles repeatedly, which pushes the heart and lungs to work harder. Thus, regular cardio exercise helps strengthen the heart muscles and makes it work more efficiently. A stronger heart pumps blood more effectively, which helps in...  Read Article

Why is my shoulder not rotating fully?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been suffering from a shoulder rotation and mobility issues when I play sport. When I throw a ball, my shoulder is not fully rotating. It is mostly external rotation of my shoulder.  Read Full »

I have been doing stretching exercise for four years, but I am not flexible. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, How flexible should a normal person be? I have been stretching two times a week for four years and I have not improved at all. In fact, I have become worse. I do winter guard and we stretch for about 25 minutes before practice. Our show this year is called meditation and we all have ...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Physiotherapist Now