Q. When will walking get normal after foot fracture?

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Dear doctor,

I had a 2,3,4 metatarsal foot fracture on 13th. Thereafter, the foot was in a cast which was removed on 20th. Now, there is as slight swelling and it hurts when walking. I am unable to walk smoothly. I partially drag the foot when walking. Hence, I request your advice on the following: When will my walking be normal? What should I do to expedite the same?

#

2, 3, and 4 metatarsal fracture can vary from undisplaced midshaft fractures to head fracture which affects forefoot (front part of the foot) to the base of metacarpal fracture which can vary depending on the anatomy of the fracture and thus the treatment also varies.

An X-ray of your foot at the time of injury and probably a fresh X-ray would have been more appropriate to discuss about the condition. Coming to your questions now:

The fracture should consolidate in a favorable position after which foot movements and walking can be normalized. Ideal healing time for foot injury is 6 to 12 weeks depending on the fracture.

Healing is a normal process, Its rate cannot be increased. However, avoiding factors that impair healing is recommended.

1. Avoid smoking and tobacco.
  2. Avoid excessive analgesic/ NSAIDs.
  3. Take a healthy meal.
  4. Vitamin D level should be appropriate.
  5. Diabetes or other chronic illness like vascular disease, connective tissue disorders, if present, should be managed.

For more information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|