Glucose Water

Does consuming glucose water alter potassium levels?

Query: Hi doctor,The patient is a 28 year old male. He had diarrhea for about 25 days, out of which about one week was severe (had around 85 times in a week) and hospitalized. While in hospital, he had increased potassium (4.7) and was given a nebulizer for two days. He lost about 10 kg during this episode...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, glucose or glucose water does reduce potassium levels and that could have given the normal results next day. I recommend you to repeat potassium level test after a week. If it is high, then he needs to undergo a complete evaluation for the cause for high potassium. F...  Read Full »

Is it normal for a 2.5 year old toddler to sleep too much?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a little concerned that my 2.5 year old toddler has been sleeping too much lately. He woke up at 4 AM the day before yesterday, but he was fine yesterday. We went to the regional center yesterday, where he played and we reached home by 2 PM. He went to sleep at 2.30 PM and has...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. It is not healthy for a child at this age to sleep so much, it can happen if the child has developed a viral infection, or it can be the effect of some drugs. You should ask your child if he has taken anything without informing you. It i...  Read Full »