Health Anxiety

Is ALS or MS the cause of my symptoms?

Query: Hi, I’m a 37 year old male. I’ve been experiencing some symptoms that I’m worried about. I’m mostly concerned about ALS and MS. The symptoms are as follows: 12 months ago, started having pain in left thumb when applying force with it, but not when at rest or when just mov...  Read Full »

Dr. Upendra K Shah

Answer: Hi, Dr. Upendra here With the given complaints there is no question of either MS or ALS Let me explain one by one 1. No fasciculations are seen in MS, they are seen in ALS but they are accompanied by weakness and loss of muscle mass, and they will not subside spontaneously. 2. Pain in fingers on...  Read Full »

Can diabetes cause lymph nodes to swell?

Query: Hello doctor, I wanted to know what you thought of these symptoms: Weight fluctuation. I gained weight then lost weight then gained weight then lost it. It settled. Now my stomach had problems for a bit, diarrhea for a bit, and that stopped. Then thrush I think. The tongue is coated white but ...  Read Full »

Dr. Krutika Ingle Karandikar

Diabetologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I think you are worrying too much. You are just 19. Enjoy life. The fluctuations in your weight will be most probably because of your different habits of eating and playing. When your eating more than you play, you are bound to gain weight. Right? The cramps in your mu...  Read Full »

Can HIV virus pass through eyes?

Query: Hi doctor, I wanted to ask what is the risk of HIV infection from a possible single spek of serum splash in eye. I work in a lab and I always wear PPE gloves, eye goggles and mask to cover my mouth. A couple of times, I felt something in my eye as I was loading samples but no visible splash occur...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Community Medicine Physician, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Preventive Medicine Physician, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The chances or risk of HIV by invective serum or fluid splash to eye is less than 0.1% I.e 1 in 1000. This is by direct infective fluid contact. You have been using PPE goggles regularly as per the description. If at all there is a splash then it would have been visi...  Read Full »

Is difficulty breathing after a workout sign of heart disease?

Query: Hi doctor, A few months ago, I have been having left side pain from my shoulder blade down to my arm till the tip of the last finger. I have had ECGs, blood work, chest x-rays and finally a CT angiogram. All were normal. I am tempted to go to the ER every time this happens, because I think this migh...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I appreciate you and have thoroughly worked through your case. I can well realize the sensitivity of the issues you are feeling right now. My discussion today will mostly comprise of reassurance and explaining the things in the best possible way for easy understanding. Th...  Read Full »

Does psychotic illness make you extremely scared of any noise?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 27 years of age. I had gone to study in abroad. I was extremely lonely there. I am a huge hypochondriac and when I started getting sleep problems, I started thinking I had some fatal disease. Subsequently, just three months ago, I somehow became convinced that I had schizophrenia and...  Read Full »

Dr. Sathya Prakash

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is no need to presume at this point of time that it is a psychotic illness. I think you have been reading too much on the internet. I would like to treat this like an anxiety disorder at this point of time. There are a lot of things I would typically explain to my ...  Read Full »

Can breast cancer grow in four weeks?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from anxiety around the health issues, cancer and tend to obsess about things. I have been fixating on my breasts and keep thinking I feel lumps. My doctor suggested to get an ultrasound four weeks ago for my peace of mind and they were perfectly fine. Tonight, I was scratc...  Read Full »

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair B

Obstetrician And Gynaecologist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. It is absolutely normal to have some anxiety. All human beings are anxious for something. It depends how we make use of it. Any lump in the breast has to be evaluated. If you still feel something inside, then you can consult a surgeon and l...  Read Full »

What causes extreme fatigue?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old male. I am managing an IT company. I have suffered from periods of extreme fatigue for the past one and a half year. The first period of fatigue was one and a half year back and it lasted for around 18 days. Then I felt fine for the next five months. From then till tod...  Read Full »

Dr. K V Anand

Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You pointed that you never had the period of fatigue problem before. Can you try to recall what happened during that period (before one and a half years)? Was there any excess stress situation or anxiety problems? As you are healthy and doing physical exercise, i...  Read Full »

My son has a small epidermal nevus. Should I worry about potential gene mutation?

Query: Hello doctor, You were wonderful in allaying some health anxiety over some skin issues several months ago. So, I thought I would consult with you on another question pertaining to my son. Unfortunately, a combination of my health anxiety and the big mistake of searching online has my mind imagining ...  Read Full »

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Dermatologist, Venereologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Cosmetologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A solitary epidermal nevus is very common and does not pose any kind of serious health concern. Neither is a biopsy required. You are right. Any associated symptom should have been present since birth or early childhood in this case. Even if it is passed on to the ...  Read Full »

I was misdiagnosed to have syphilis and had treatment. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old male. Before a month, I visited a hospital in my hometown for pain on the penis. They conducted VDRL and TPHA test and said that the test came back as weak positive. So, it is the first stage of syphilis. They prescribed me an injection and some tablets for five days. A...  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. TPHA (Treponema pallidum hemagglutination) is a test to detect treponemal antibodies, which are produced by the body against the bug that causes syphilis. The point is that TPHA is known to show false positive results for some reasons and hence, any positive reaction ...  Read Full »

Is Prozac a better alternative for Paroxetine?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering from severe anxiety disorder for the past two years. It all started with a severe panic attack then I was diagnosed with acute hypochondriac. I have been always worrying about my heart health and fearing that any time I may get an attack. This has reduced my quality ...  Read Full »

Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Psychotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. Hypochondriasis is a serious anxiety condition which cause severe symptoms and fear about health condition. Both Paroxetine and Prozac (Fluoxetine) are the drugs belonging to SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) group of drugs. ...  Read Full »