Q. Are all saturated fats including coconut oil harmful for heart patients with plaque build up in arteries?

Dr. Sumiya Sulthana

My husband has a heart condition that means his arteries build up a plaque at a much higher rate than normal. He had to have a stent put in his heart and will be medicated for the rest of his life. He has been told that it is vital he eats low fat and low cholesterol diet. I cook for him and I am worried whether I feed him the wrong things. I know that meat is not good for the heart, so we limit it and always go for lean cuts, but I am confused about the difference between animal-based saturated fats and plant-based saturated fats.

For example, everyone raves about the health benefits of coconut oil and coconut milk, but both are extremely high in saturated fat. I googled this and find reports stating that it is a different kind of saturated fat and does not affect the heart badly, but I do not know if this is true. For someone like my husband, is all saturated fat bad? Also, is chicken really healthier meat than beef? It seems to have a high cholesterol content so I do not know if he should be eating it. Any advice would be much appreciated.

He is currently Rosuvastatin, Bystolic, and Aspirin.

Dr. Sumiya Sulthana

Dietician Nutritionist
#

I understand your concern on the high-fat diet and follow the mentioned points below.

Just to make it easy, we need some fat which is good and HDL (high-density lipoprotein) like almonds and walnuts are good as these are rich in omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. Similarly, the fat we have in coconut oil is different. The fat in the chicken can be removed by removing the skin, where as beef has inbuilt fat which cannot be removed easily hence we suggest to include fish and chicken avoiding beef.

Considering fat, we miss out on other nutrients too, so it is advised to reduce the oil intake like healthy individuals can take half a liter of oil per month if you are two your cooking should be within 1 liter of oil only.

Coconut oil is having saturated fat but it burns easily in high humidity areas. If we live in high humidity area it is better to include coconut oil to protect our joints and skin. If we leave apart from high humidity area it is better to use refined oil.

| 

Please explain my brother's heart problem from the report.

Query: Hello doctor,For a few months, my brother is suffering from cough with asthma. When we consulted our doctor, he asked us to get a few tests like echo and CT scan. From the test reports, he was detected with some heart problem. Some doctors said that as thrombus and some said as mass. I have attached...  Read Full »

What does negative troponin with intense chest pain suggest?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 44-year-old female. I get random chest pain either on the left side or on the right side that is painful to touch. There are some instances when it feels like my chest is going to collapse. This feeling lasts for a second or two. Almost like a lightning bolt has shocked me. The...  Read Full »

Please explain my father's heart problem from the medical report.

Query: Hi doctor, My father has diabetes for the past 15 years and he is suffering from heart problem for the past four years. Recently he was admitted to the hospital due to severe breathing problem, sudden fainting, loss of appetite and water accumulation in the stomach and legs. After taking treatment ...  Read Full »

Ask a Nutritionist Now