Q. Please explain my brother's heart problem from the report.

Dr. Rishu
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 15, 2020

For a few months, my brother is suffering from cough with asthma. When we consulted our doctor, he asked us to get a few tests like echo and CT scan. From the test reports, he was detected with some heart problem. Some doctors said that as thrombus and some said as mass. I have attached the report here. Please give us your feedback.

#

• It is a rhabdomyoma of heart. Rhabdomyoma is a benign tumor and in your brother case, it is present in the heart.
  • As it is in the left atrium of heart, it is causing the size of cavity of the heart to increase.
  • Cough and breathing problem you are facing are because of this rhabdomyoma.
  • Normally, the blood flows from left atrium to left ventricle and left atrium receives blood from lungs. As most of the space in left atrium is occupied by rhabdomyoma, blood cannot fill up the space and back flows to lung causing breathlessness. It is termed as cardiac asthma.
  • As of now treatment of rhabdomyoma is basically surgical excision of this tumor.
  • Till surgery, I would like to suggest your brother a few medicines like diuretics, beta blockers and some blood thinners to prevent clot formation. Consult his specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Do not worry. Once medicines started, he will be feeling much better. Take care.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|