Q. Please explain my brother's heart problem from the report.

Dr. Rishu
Published on Dec 03, 2016

For a few months, my brother is suffering from cough with asthma. When we consulted our doctor, he asked us to get a few tests like echo and CT scan. From the test reports, he was detected with some heart problem. Some doctors said that as thrombus and some said as mass. I have attached the report here. Please give us your feedback.

Dr. Rishu

Cardiology
#

• It is a rhabdomyoma of heart. Rhabdomyoma is a benign tumor and in your brother case, it is present in the heart.
  • As it is in the left atrium of heart, it is causing the size of cavity of the heart to increase.
  • Cough and breathing problem you are facing are because of this rhabdomyoma.
  • Normally, the blood flows from left atrium to left ventricle and left atrium receives blood from lungs. As most of the space in left atrium is occupied by rhabdomyoma, blood cannot fill up the space and back flows to lung causing breathlessness. It is termed as cardiac asthma.
  • As of now treatment of rhabdomyoma is basically surgical excision of this tumor.
  • Till surgery, I would like to suggest your brother a few medicines like diuretics, beta blockers and some blood thinners to prevent clot formation. Consult his specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Do not worry. Once medicines started, he will be feeling much better. Take care.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Is there any BP medicine without side effect?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a cardiac patient since 16 years after a massive MI followed by an angioplasty. Thereafter, I was taking medication to control high BP along with Aspirin as well as for cholesterol. Recently, I have another mild attack and did my second angioplasty. My BP is fluctuating between 150/9...  Read Full »

I have pain in ribs and breathing problems. Is it a sign of lung cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, For past four weeks, I have pain in my ribs. Also, I am experiencing breathing problems. It feels like something has stuck in the heart. For, a few days pain has been decreased. But breathing problem persists. I am also experiencing pain in my lower back. The pain is massive at night tim...  Read Full »

Why do I wake after sleeping with high heart rate and breathing problems?

Query: Hello doctor, I nearly wake up every night two to three hours after I go to bed. Symptoms are high heart rate (150 to 170) and breathing problems. My heart has been diagnosed and today I got an X-ray of my lung. What I think is strange. I only wake up, when I lie on my right side. I never woke up w...  Read Full »