Q. Do negative troponin rule out heart problem, inspite of chest pain?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
Published on Jan 08, 2020

I am a 44-year-old female. I get random chest pain either on the left side or on the right side that is painful to touch. There are some instances when it feels like my chest is going to collapse. This feeling lasts for a second or two. Almost like a lightning bolt has shocked me. There are other times where I feel like something is pinching or pressing on my left or right side of the chest.

I have been diagnosed with costochondritis and GERD and prescribed anti-inflammatory pills plus Omeprazole. I also have high blood pressure and high cholesterol for which I take Losartan 25 mg, Hydrocholorithazide 25 mg, and Fenofibrate 145 mg once daily. I had an EKG done and that turned out normal.

I went to the clinic two weeks ago as I had pain in the middle of my chest that lasted less than a minute. I had an EKG done again and it turned out abnormal. My blood pressure was elevated at 130/100 mmHg and I was having an anxiety attack. Although EKG was abnormal, blood tests came out normal and Troponin was negative. I am totally freaking out. Doctor says that I am fine but I should see a cardiologist to rule out heart problems. I am worried because several months ago my EKG was perfectly fine but now it is abnormal. Please help.

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiology General Practitioner
#

I understand your concern. Your troponin was normal, this is good because that was not heart attack. Regarding your ECG (electrocardiogram), I do not know what was the abnormality. I want to see your ECG to guide you accordingly.

One thing I would stress that please reduce your weight as obesity is the most to many unwelcomed diseases. Obesity is a field in which cardiac diseases grow. Only reducing weight will solve many of your symptoms and worries.

Regarding your chest pain, it is atypical and does not seem to be related to the heart. Take painkillers when you have pain.

| 

Raise in troponin level has high chance of mortality. Is that true?

Query: Hi doctor, Six months back, I had an echocardiogram and a CT angiogram. My initial troponin T level was 0.44. After six hours it dropped back down to below 0.10. My test results from the CT angiogram were normal and the calcium level was 0. My echo was also normal. I wore a monitor for seven days an...  Read Full »

Why is there mild chest pain although it is not a heart attack?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom had chest pain yesterday evening at 3 PM. It was mild pain on the left side. Today morning she also had mild pain three times. I had contacted a cardiologist yesterday. He asked me to perform an ECG test. After seeing the ECG report, he said there is little issue in ECG line. T...  Read Full »

I recently had a break up with someone who was formally my best friend and I am depressed after it. How to get rid of it?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently had a bad break up with someone who was formally my best friend, and she feels like now we cannot even go back to where we were before as good friends. But we still talked for a while after it, but now we have not been talking, and I have been feeling depressed and having c...  Read Full »