Q. Can using one crutch considered to be 75 % weight bearing after a hip arthroscopy?

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao
Published on Nov 30, 2018

I am down to one crutch after a hip arthroscopy. I am supposed to be at 75 % weight bearing. Is using one crutch 75 % or 50 % weight bearing. Also, on day four, I am supposed to be at 100 % weight bearing with one crutch. How is that possible?

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao

Physiotherapy
#

I read your concern. Weight-bearing with the crutches means the amount of body weight borne by the injured leg. And rest is been supported by crutches. Like if you were asked to bear weight up to 75 percentage, then you put the crutch forward and then put injured leg forward and put weight as per instructions are given like 75 percentage of your body weight. Same with 100 percentage is also possible. Later once you are comfortable, you can wean off crutches slowly and walk normally.

| 

I have now developed trochanteric bursitis in my hip that came last week. I have been icing upto today. Would it be better to start using heat such as a heating pad to relieve the pain?

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao

Physiotherapy
#

For bursitis, it is always advisable to ice as cold works better than heat. I recommend you to get a gentle massage over your butt muscles and also over outer aspects of your thigh and butt. As bursitis is caused due to friction due to muscle tightness this will help relax muscles. Gentle stretching of butt muscles, side of thigh muscles (TFL and ITB), Hamstrings muscles. Gentle stretching of the hip joint. Lying on your stomach with knee bend. Gently pushing your both foot away from each other as long as you can feel the stretch and mild pain and hold it for 30 seconds. Once pain comes down you can start with flute stability and strengthening work. Work on hip mobility. Avoid lying on that side.

| 

Ask a Physiotherapist Now