Q. I am in need of hip replacement but I am scared of anesthesia. Please help.

Dr. Kiran Kumar Kolla Gopalkrishna
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 01, 2019

I am 60 years old and need a hip replacement. I am healthy, no diabetes, no heart problems. My sister had a horrible anesthesia awareness incident a few years ago, and now I am terrified to have my surgery because of any risk of being paralyzed but awake. What can I do to make sure I am asleep during operation?

#

I suggest you opt for regional anesthesia by a spinal and epidural anesthetic. They will give an injection between your spine, and this will make your legs numb and any sensation below the navel you will not be feeling. After the surgery numbness will go and all the sensations will be recovered. If you want to sleep, the anesthetist can give mild sedative, and you will be able to hear everything but no paralysis.

Is neuromuscular block necessary during surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I am going to have laparoscopic surgery to remove an ovarian dermoid cyst. I am afraid of being under general anesthesia in the presence of neuromuscular blocks. Is there a way to ensure that I am unconscious before administering the neuromuscular block? I have read a horrible story abo...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Normally, all anesthesia, you can see are just a prick of a needle. So, if you do not fear the prick of a needle then you need not worry. Once the needle is pricked and the medicine goes in your body, you will not realize any pain neither remember anything. You would be ...  Read Full

Brain Stimulation Techniques in Psychiatry

Article Overview: Novel brain stimulation techniques have cropped up in the field of psychiatry. These have brought about a paradigm and tectonic shift in the way health care is delivered. The focus of this article will be on the newer modalities of brain stimulation in the treatment of complex neuropsychiatric disorders. Read Article

Brain stimulation therapy is a broad term that encompasses a set of techniques used to stimulate brain cells. After having psychotherapy and highly effective psychotropics in their treatment armamentarium, psychiatrists are now foraying into the field of interventional psychiatry. However, these the...  Read Article

Ask an Anesthesiologist Now