Q. I am in need of hip replacement but I am scared of anesthesia. Please help.

Dr. Kiran Kumar Kolla Gopalkrishna

I am 60 years old and need a hip replacement. I am healthy, no diabetes, no heart problems. My sister had a horrible anesthesia awareness incident a few years ago, and now I am terrified to have my surgery because of any risk of being paralyzed but awake. What can I do to make sure I am asleep during operation?

#

I suggest you opt for regional anesthesia by a spinal and epidural anesthetic. They will give an injection between your spine, and this will make your legs numb and any sensation below the navel you will not be feeling. After the surgery numbness will go and all the sensations will be recovered. If you want to sleep, the anesthetist can give mild sedative, and you will be able to hear everything but no paralysis.

|