Q. Should I get hip replacement done to correct leg discrepancy?

Dr. Lokesh

Got surgery done for "fracture neck of femur" five years back. Now living life with 1 inch leg length discrepancy. Highly demotivated. Hip replacement is suggested by surgeons but not now ,as I am 30 years old. As per them a revision surgery is recquired after 15 years or so.

My question is if I go for hip replacement ,will my leg gets normal? Why revision surgery is only after 10-15 years and not after 35 years(though some doctor say that they do hip replacement and acetabulam remains for 35 years, is it possible? How can I compromise leg length by using Shoe lifts (will limping be visible after that or not) Kindly help.

#

I can understand that limb lengthening can be of concern but you can ealisy wear a heel raise on the normal side of just 1.5 cms (not totally correcte to 1.5 inches, it should always be undercorrected by 1 cm), limping depends upon you abductor hip muscle strength- so you need to do exercises.

Regarding hip replacement - if you have an avascular necrosis with a painful hip - only then you require a replacement , otherwise not, And the timing is not fixed - hip replacement can be done at a time when you have excessive pain not relieved by medicines, After hip replacement - you hip should be near normal. I suggest you to uplod your latest hip X-ray so that I can see and accurately suggest treatment methods, and provide you more information,

Query regarding hip replacement

Follow up with latest xrays

|