Hydroxychloroquine

Kindly suggest the safe drugs for lupus during the third-trimester.

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 7.5 months pregnant (third trimester). She has been diagnosed with lupus before conceiving. Now she is taking Deflacort 24 mg and taking the Injection Cardinex. She is continuing so. Is it safe to consume Deflacort 24 mg at this phase? She also has an allergy. What shall be...  Read Full »

Dr. Nupoor Acharya

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have not mentioned the symptoms of your wife. The treatment of lupus depends on the symptoms and severity of the disease. Some lupus medicines cannot be given during pregnancy. Medicines like Hydroxychloroquine, steroids, Azathioprine are relatively saf...  Read Full »

Are Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin ideal drugs for COVID-19 infection?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 77-year-old male in great shape. I am 6' 1' tall and 194 lbs. I do stretching and balance exercises for an hour every morning. And I workout including lifting weights, hiking, and playing a high level of table tennis over 10 hours a week plus I run a working cattle ranch. I take ...  Read Full »

Dr. Isaac Gana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. We do not yet have detailed proof as of now to the effects of Hydroxychloroquine on COVID-19 patients. There have been a few trials, but at the moment, they are inconclusive, and I cannot say for sure it will affect your cardiovascular system negatively or positively...  Read Full »

I developed RA during pregnancy and getting pain post delivery. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have 2 months old baby now. I had rheumatoid arthritis while I am pregnant. I had no pain so I was not in medication. After delivery, I am getting pain in the hand and elbows. I wanted to get rid of this. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Rajiv Ranjan Kumar

Rheumatologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Rheumatoid arthritis flare (increase in disease activity) usually occurs after delivery. It is pretty common to have joint pain and swelling after delivery. Since you have two months old baby, the first-line medication of RA that is Folitrax (Methotrexate) is contraindi...  Read Full »

What does joint pain with flare ups indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been to six different rheumatologists. One of those rheumatologists said I have fibromyalgia and I still do not agree with this diagnosis. My labs come back normal. My radiographic test concludes osteoarthritis in both knees and thumbs. I have pain in these joints and have a bo...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to have multiple joint arthritis. Since CRP (C-reactive protein), R factor, Anti CCP (cyclic-citrullinated antibody) antibody, and ESR are normal no one is going to conclude this as rheumatoid arthritis or seronegative arthritis. I need the following details: ...  Read Full »

Is Hydroxychloroquine recommended for psoriasis vulgaris and anxiety disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, I have psoriasis vulgaris, anxiety disorder, and dry cough for a long time. Recently, I have taken Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin along with my usual medicine like topical corticosteroid, Sertraline, Montelukast and Rosuvastatin. Is taking these medicine like Hydroxychloroquine ...  Read Full »

Dr. Kapil Gupta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sure some healthcare providers must have advised you to take these drugs and he would be aware of these interactions before starting. If you are self-medicating yourselves I would strongly advise you against that. Using Hydroxychloroquine together with Sertral...  Read Full »

Why is there sudden worsening of rheumatoid arthritis even on medication?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 26 years old and diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis when I was 23. Since then I have been on 15 mg of Methotrexate and Hydroxychloroquine. Since I have been on medication, I hardly have no symptoms, but recently arthritis seems to be flaring up for three weeks now. I have pain i...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, it is a possibility that Methotrexate dose is not sufficient enough to stop the disease. 15 mg is the dose we use for starting and we normally go higher up. In my experience, 15 mg normally proves inefficient in the long run. But since your disease is flarin...  Read Full »

When will one get black papule that itches along with hair loss?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old doctor. I have a black papule on my forehead since 1.5 years and that is associated with itching. It got subsided four to six months after using Mometasone and multivitamins, but has reappeared then. It first appeared just below hairline and spread to contiguous areas ...  Read Full »

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed the attached photographs (attachments removed to protect patient identity). You are having lichen planus. It is a chronic disease of the skin due to immune dysfunction. I would recommend you to apply Mometasone furoate cream on the affected areas...  Read Full »

Should SLE medicines be stopped when trying for pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 30 years old. She was diagnosed with an initial stage of SLE before six months. For the past six months, she is taking MMF tablet 500 mg three tablets per day, Flunil 20 mg per day and Wysolone 5 mg per day. She is also having chronic problems such as hair loss, finger numbnes...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. She cannot stop taking medicines during pregnancy but, the tablet MMF (Mycophenolate mofetil) can be replaced by HCQS (Hydroxychloroquine), and low dose steroids can be continued. SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus) disease activity increases during pregnancy in some patie...  Read Full »

Is Plaquenil beneficial in C.difficile colitis?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother was diagnosed with systemic sclerosis (CREST). Her main symptoms have been Raynaud's and esophageal issues. She also has Alzheimer's and a history of recurrent C.diff colitis. She took Plaquenil for several years and her CREST symptoms appeared stable. So, when her rheumato...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your mother's history and she has had a tough path. Plaquenil (Hydroxychloroquine) at this stage will not help her scleroderma much, especially the esophagus, which is already dilated with no motility. This is one of the few conditions of scleroderma, ...  Read Full »

What is the exact cause for my knee pain and swelling?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 40 year old female. My height is 5'4" and my weight is 64 kg. I am suffering from left knee pain with some swelling and stiffness for the past three years. I am taking Sazo 2000 and OXC 200 for two months, but had no relief. I have ANA 48.5 and CRP 7.9. My MRI showed no tears, but...  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through all the data posted. Kindly tell me more details about your problem. Since when is the pain in the left knee present? Do you have any other joint pain like wrist or elbow? Your ANA (antinuclear antibody) report is positive. Kindly upload the report ...  Read Full »